Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
storing Tulip bulbs

Posted by laney_bug alabama (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 19:09

I have been given this years tulips after blooming . Now I need help with the method of storing them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: storing Tulip bulbs

I have stored them by first cleaning and drying well so they do not mold. I store them in mesh bags hung in a dark cool place. I used old panty hose as long as they were available. Any mesh bags that will provide air to circulate to help prevent mold. Al

o

• Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 7:51

If you look on Becky and Brent's bulb site, it shows that they sell the onion mesh bags for storing bulbs. I'm going to order some myself and hope they aren't all gone by time I get around to ordering them.

o

I used to store them in open boxes and had no problems, but last summer with its weekly rains and higher humidity caused me to lose quite a few due to rot.... Also it didn't help that I went away for 2 weeks and left them sitting uncured and damp in a 5 gallon bucket.

I'm just saying you might want to listen to the others and make sure you have good air circulation....

o

I have had good luck storing them in paper bags in a biscuit tin, once they are dry & clean. the paper will control the humidity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here