Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poppy Anemone

Posted by hoseman 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 19:11

I purchased a potted Poppy Anemone at the garden shop yesterday. It was in bloom. I thought it was a little early for poppies to be blooming in the warmer part of zone 7. The lady indicated, well, yes it is early, but...
So, I guess it was green house grown.

I am wondering if I plant it outside and we get frost, will it be killed? I have it on the porch, so any frost we may get would not kill it. I doubt if we will have anymore hard freezes, but the frost free date is around May 1st.

When the danger of frost is over and I plant it outside, will it come back next year? OR Did I buy a green house forced plant and about the best I can get out of it is to enjoy it now on the porch and then discard it after it stops blooming? How long should it bloom>?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poppy Anemone

Anemone coronaria can be very iffy in our zone. There is conflicting info on its hardiness. Some say it is hardy only down to 28 degrees. Some say it's hardy in zone 7. Perhaps winter wet has something to do with it too. I don't know. I do know that when I have planted these bulbs in the past in my zone 7B garden, I got probably only about 25% return the second year. You have nothing to lose to try, but I would wait until May 1 to plant it out.

o
RE: Poppy Anemone

Mine are happy in frost and freeze, temps this year got down to low 20s. They are carefree for me in 7b. In fact it will get too warm in a month or 6 weeks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here