Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Finally, can practically sniff success on the air

User
10 years ago

After several years of waiting (and faffing around) my tiny tulipa sprengeri bulbs are ready to go in the ground. I would have had some flowering by now, had I not tossed a whole pot of dormant seedlings 3 years ago, but anyway, saving seed from my sole precious tulip has finally yielded 3 trays of seedlings, from fat little bulbs at the very bottom of long rose pots.....to tiny monocot needle-like leaves, I can clearly visualise a colony in my woodland. Also, with only 2 more years to go, several dozen martagons will be going in the gound this autumn too. The last time I did this endless waiting game was for trillium, waiting 5 years for flowers which then promptly died off in my too dry and too alkaline soil....teaching me a harsh lesson of right plants, right place.
Obviously, if I could simply press 'buy' without a care in the world, I surely would (the garden would be chaos)....instead of this endless waiting and worrying game of long-term seed raising....but on the other hand, after the first 4 years or so, things finally start to bloom on an annual basis, just like normal.....and I have learned a lot and saved a fortune. Who else grows from seed, waiting for season after season.....what do you grow? What would you like to try (I am going for cardiocrimum next)?

Comments (3)