Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bphillps

planting fall bulbs in spring

bphillps
14 years ago

I'm brand new to gardening and I did not realize that the bulbs I want in my garden need to be planted in fall and I was really looking forward to planting them this spring. Would it be a disaster to plant them now? It's still decently cold, but probably not for too much longer. I want to plant crocus, daffodils, and grape hyacinth. Thanks

Comments (6)

• sunandshadow
    14 years ago

You may as well plant them - what else are you going to do with them? Those are all bulbs that should come back year after year, so either they'll bloom late this year or they won't bloom, but they'll bloom normally next spring.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Do you already have the bulbs? If so, the above advice is correct but don't expect much more than a show of foliage this season. Next spring should offer a better display.

If you didn't purchase the bulbs last fall when they were available (and store them correctly), you might want to look for alreaady started bulbs available at some nurseries and garden centers and even grocery stores. These are an ideal way to get a virtually instant display of spring flowering bulbs for those who procrastinated planting last fall, forgot or simply are unaware of the bulb planting process.

• bphillps
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I do already have them. Thanks for the advice guys

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Put a reminder on your calendar in early September to purchase AND PLANT your favorite spring-blooming hardy bulbs. Tulips are fine planted in October in zone 5, but most other types are best planted as soon as they become available in the stores or in early to mid-September.

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

Were did you store them? These bulbs all need a period of cold before they will start growing.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Were did you store them? These bulbs all need a period of cold before they will start growing.
    Most bulbs need a chill period before they will bloom. The bulbs if planted now should soon put down roots and start to grow. Given that the soil is quite cool, and will be for some time yet in your zone, you may, or may not see a few blooms later this spring, or they may not be fully formed.

If you allow this years foliage to ripen (turn yellow/brown) before cutting it off, you should enjoy lots of blooms next spring.

From the link below:
    Cool temperatures stimulate a biochemical response inside the bulb that "turns on" the embryonic flower so it starts developing. Most bulbs require 16 to 18 weeks of cold before the flower is fully formed. At that point they're ready for light and warmth. If you cut the time short, the flowers will emerge but they will not be fully formed.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Bulbs that require chilling.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting