Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oxalis 'Regnelli' tubers - -

Posted by carrie630 z7bNC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 19:27

They are like little sticks - do I just put them into the ground vertically and make sure they are in part shade? There are no directions on the package.

I carefully looked at the tuber and there seems to be a tiny little fleck at one tip - probably where the plant will grow - and the other end is a bit chunkier...

Thanks for any help - I always thought they would be best in morning sun/afternoon shade - because it gets so hot here in NC in the summer - thanks

Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oxalis 'Regnelli' tubers - -

I think I'd plant them on their side and not too deeply. They 'know' which side is down...;-).

I'd use a fairly shallow pan*, too, with spreading room allowed. By the time the season has ended there is likely to be a serious increase in the number of bulbs. I've yet to meet an Oxalis, benign or otherwise, that doesn't like to multiply.

* an azalea dish could be suitable. About 4+" deep.

If your summer/hot weather comes in abruptly then your idea of morning sun and afternoon shade sounds practical, particularly for a mainly foliage plant.

They seem to like being reliably damp while growing, but dry out a little between waterings. Never bone dry all through. Still residual moisture further down in the pot.

It might not be so for you: however, take care when repotting to keep the spent mix out of the garden and compost heap. However shy and tender they might say they are - Oxalis can often find a way to settle in the garden. Just one little spawn bulb and they're away. :-(

o
RE: Oxalis 'Regnelli' tubers - -

Thanks for the response... I bought one last year and it did come back but never seemed to multiply - which is what i did want it to do to fill in a shady area. Good tip on the bulb planting - plant on the side, never thought of that.

I wonder why everytime I came to the Bulb forum, it showed no one responded, yet when i clicked my original post, I found your post. Weird - that's happened before on the Soil, Compost forum but never on my Wintersowing forum...

Carrie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here