Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Ranunculus in Zone 6

Posted by flowergal15 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 6, 12 at 19:51

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about growing ranunculus in zone 6. I think that it is one of the more difficult bulbs, so I would like to learn some things about growing them in my zone, when they should be planted this spring etc. Thanks!
I got my bulbs from Park Seed Co.
Here is the link to the type I bought: http://parkseed.com/product.aspx?p=51640-PK-P1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Ranunculus in Zone 6

These are tropical so if you want repeat next year they will need winter indoor storage.

You could pot them, water once to settle soil around the "claws" and keep in a frost free place. When leaves push up they need full sun and another watering. The pot can go outdoors when all danger of frost is over. After bloom the leaves will yellow (like daffodils) and the pot can be moved out of the way (shade so the soil doesn't cook).

o

When should I plant them in the pots? What type of soil would they prefer? thanks

o

You can plant them in pots now as long as you have a place to keep the pots that does not freeze. The potting soil should drain well. When growth starts they will need lots of light to prevent them growing leggy with weak stems. If you have an area outside with frost protection they will grow slower than if inside, but will be stronger plants. Here I have both some started inside and most started outdoors. Those started indoors require hardening off before moving into the full sun outdoors. Our winter night time temperatures seldom drop below 25 degrees. Al

o

I have a greenhouse, so would it be a good idea to put the pots in the greenhouse at night to keep frost away, and outside during the day? Right now in our zone it is very warm, about 70. But that is just this week, the weather is unusually warm, and i have a greenhouse available for cold weather.

o

As long as you don't mind moving them(and don't forget one night!)that would work fine. Al

o

Okay, thank you. I will see how this works.
I love ranunculus and just decided to give them a try.

o

I don't mean to steal this thread, but I'm also trying them in pots for the first time in zone 5. Can I start them in the house...and then look to bring them outside in May? I have a front window that gets good morning sun and was thinking perhaps I could start them there.
wig

o

Just one small addition. Ranunculus asiaticus isn't a tropical plant. It comes from the Eastern Mediterranean, North Africa and the Near East. Places with mild springs, hot dry summers and relatively mild winters, although it can cope down to - 10c when dormant.

o

It seems like it would work to raise them in the house, I did read on Park Seed Co. website that they can be houseplants. I think that it would work.

o

There is no reason why you could not start them in the house. When foliage grows they will need additional light to grow strong plants. These are sun plants and will do very poorly in low light conditions. They will also rot in cold, poorly drained soil. A plant in the ground from last year will tolerate a lot more cold wet soil than a newly planted tuber. Al

o

I just purchased ranunculus bulbs and I was hoping for some advice before planting them. I live in zone 7, and I am not quite sure how to handle them. Ideally I would like these to be planted in the ground, have them bloom in the summer and I can take the bulbs out in the winter to overwinter them & replant again next year. Does anyone know what zone these bulbs are hardy to? Thanks for the help :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here