Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by opie12 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 20:03

Can anyone help me identify these? My mom found them growing in a side ditch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

It is a daffodil and most likely an old heirloom variety.

I have one that is quite similar that I have been trying to get a positive identification on for years now.

NO ID #17-yellow version

Photobucket

I imagine it is fragrant, isn't it?

Sue

o

It is fragrant! I figured that it had to be some sort of daffodil, but it looks so different from the ones that I typically see, and I didn't know if there was some specific name for it......We thought it was so pretty....

o

but it looks so different from the ones that I typically see
Most folks do not realize that there are such a variety of daffodils.
There are thirteen descriptive divisions of daffodils....see below.

They come in different combinations of yellow (of course), white or whitish, orange, pink, red, and green.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffodil Divisions

o

It is gorgeous and if it smells, all the better!

It looks different from the photo on Old House Gardens of Butter and Eggs, but it looks very similar to this offering from Southern Bulbs..link below.

-Frank

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Bulbs - Butter and Eggs

o

And the link below is to numerous pics of pics of Butter and Eggs.

Yours really does look like the one shown at Southern Living, but not at Daffseek where there are a lot more petals.

A daffodil historian would likely have to see the bloom in person to get a positive identity on it.

Here is my ongoing saga of trying to get an ID on one similar to yours. Mine looks a lot fuller though.

Please help name this old daff

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Butter and Eggs at Daffseek

o

I have those. A church friend at the age of 90 plus gave me a bucket full of daffs from her ACRES of old daffodils that grow on the land where she was born. It was a mixture of Butter and Eggs (singles), these doubles, and another generic type daffodil. I love the soft creamy yellow color and since they are so early they last for nearly a month. I don't know the name either, though the closest I have been able to find is also Double Butter and Eggs. It's possible that different strains in different parts of the south have naturalized and adapted to our varying climates, thus giving us slightly different colorations. Irregardless of their name, I cherish them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here