Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
already looking at next year!

Posted by kato_b z5 NEPa (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 11 at 20:31

There's next to nothing out and growing around here.... in fact the recent snow covered any of the sprouts and blooms that were braving the cold... but yesterday in the mail I found this fall's Brent and Becky catalog. Shame on them for sending out their catalog while I am weakest. I almost ordered a couple snowdrops and aconites....

One thing that I will order this fall is the english bluebells. The picture looks authentic and I hope they will be the real thing and not a spanish bluebell mix.

I really liked seeing all the possibilities for next year while I am waiting for this year to get started.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
finally some sprouts!

I guess it was just me. I clearly have an addiction.

o
RE: already looking at next year!

Ya, I got their catalog too, and every year I tell myself I need to plant more spring bulbs, and every year I either don't have enough money because I spent too much on other plants, ran out of gardening steam, or something major comes up, like last year with having a garage torn down and rebuilt. Hopefully this year I can keep my plant buying to a minimum to save for buying bulbs. I really, really want more spring bulbs in the yard. I want to sprinkle some of the extra early blooming types in the yard itself because I think it looks so pretty when the yard has lots of color before the grass begins growing. I also want more daffodils and hyacinths. I love the smell of hyacinths, and daffodils are so cheerful. I think I may get some of the smaller perennial tulips, though I love the big ones, they are too much like annuals and I don't feel like dealing with them.

Karen

o

I usually find myself ordering from B & B in the spring & the fall, just can't help myself. I'm still whittling down the list though.

o

I buy the winter bulbs and never seem to get them in the ground - I'm always scrounging for pots to dunk them into so I won't lose them. We seem to go from "too hot to plant them" to "cold & wet & I don't want to be outside" so fast.

This year I captured local photos of daffodil varieties so I'll know what to order come summer. Tried looking at my web suppliers but some of the sites take down their winter bulbs until it's ok to be placing orders again (not that I need to order them right now). Placed a trigger on my calendar to ping me about daffodils in summer - I'll go back and look at my own post to remember what I wanted.

Posted the photos on my blog, linked below. I'll link one of the posts here, so anyone reading 6 months form now can find it:
http://ceodraiocht.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/differing-daffodils/

Here is a link that might be useful: mists and enchantments my blog

o

For some reason the spring bulbs don't tempt me like the fall ones do. I guess since I can't afford to grow them as annuals, I've learned to limit how many things I will have to dig back up in the fall.... sort of.... I still have more dahlias and cannas than i should.

Karen I usually have some spare daffs and tulips in the summer. Drop me an email if you're interested

nice photos faerygardener!

o

Thanks Kato! Understand on the spring planted bulbs. I moved a few years back and in my previous climate everything did well.Took me those years and multiple attempts to just give up on certain bulbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here