Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Narcissi for zone 7b (Alabama)

Posted by madabouteu 8A - central Alabama (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 21:00

According to USDA I am in zone 7b; the Arbor Day Foundation map says zone 8a, and even in this harsh winter we did not go into single digits. I know that 'Ice Follies' and 'St. Kevern' are good daffodils (in other words, keep blooming year after year) for this zone, but what other daffodils will do well here? I planted 'Kedron' in fall 2008 and this second year it actually is doing better than the first year of bloom, so I have high hopes for it. For what it is worth, my soil is clayey but I dig a trench for the bulbs and give them some good soil. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Narcissi for zone 7b (Alabama)

Madabouteu,

We have good results with Thalia. They are planted by the thousands in the heavy clay around the Visitor Center here. They are also very fragrant.
February Gold is another good long term colonizer. Thousands were planted 20 years ago and flow in and out of the Oakleaf Hydrangea drifts.
A smaller planting of Mt. Hood is still going strong. The closely related Snowflake/Leucojum aestivale'Gravetye Giant'also clumps up quickly here.
Narcissus 'Tete A Tete' and 'Kinglet' also come to mind. I first planted 'Kinglet' in 1974. It tends to go to foliage but it is still one of my favorites because of the jonquil fragrance.
Small clumps of Minnow, Sundisc and others have been at the house for decades. They require an occasional feeding or will go to foliage only. Their soil is a poor sandy loam and I've not tried them in the valley clays.

Mike519

o

I grew up in Jacksonville (New Liberty area) my mother had hundreds and hundreds of different daffs. She threw them in a hole and they grew like gang busters. Of course she could also take the stem of a rose and stick it in the ground and it would grow too. She had to amend her soil for some things that she grew but I never rememeber her putting anything around her daffs.

o

I'm near Dallas,TX. Many of them bloom here.

Most prolific are Barret Brownins, the tazettas, Quail is a now favorite. Avalanche...so many! Simple rule. Go for flowers with small trumpets and you won't be sorry. I have had poor return with King Alfred, Mon dragon, fortissima (but some do keep coming back in 2 places)

Love tet e tet, and jetfire and other little daffs too.

Happy planting
c

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here