Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planted too deep. Can I push them Up?

Posted by ladyrose65 6bNJ (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 3, 11 at 21:07

I planted my Iris's too deep, can I push them up. Should I leave them until summer. What can I do, as not to loose them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planted too deep. Can I push them Up?

Do you know what kind of irises they are? Do they grow from a bulb (Like Dutch or reticulata and others) or a rhizome, like bearded (and some others)? Please see link below.

When were they planted?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Types of Iris

o

Medium Bearded Iris. I got from HD planted in Nov.

o

Are their leaf fans showing and looking healthy? If they are, then straight below them will be the new roots and they will have settled in, thought they might not flower this coming season.

As the weather warms and the leaves get more growth on them you could brush back the soil covering the rhizome so it gets the summer sun.

If there is no obvious sign of new growth (and you can see there is in local gardens) - fossick with a cautious finger or small hand tool to see if you have a growing tip below the surface.

Generally they 'make their way to the top' as the new growth becomes older so you may not need to lift the plants at all.

o

If the area has good drainage and it is possible to do, I would do as vet suggested above. If the top of the rhizome is totally buried, I'd suggest lifting and resetting a little later, when the soil is a little better for working. Even if they are disturbed by lifting and resetting, 'some' might bloom this year, though not at the 'regular' blooming time.

The top part of the rhizome should look like a turtle's back sticking up above the soil. If planted too deeply, they could rot if the soil is not well drained, or they probably won't bloom for you.

Sue

o

Thank You Vet and Chemocurl. I'm going to try to move them up later. It does have good drainage. I don't expect any blooms. Def. planted too deep. The other iris's have 2 1/2 of growth.

o

The same problem can be had with peony when planted too deep...and they can be lifted slightly to improve their likelyhood of blooming.
With a sharp spade, dig outwards from the plant on all sides, then pick a side and put the spade underneath and gently lift...then back fill when you've decided the height is fixed.
It doesn't bother the roots and usually works fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here