Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodil NOID 1930 or earlier

Posted by kasimac New York 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 21:32

Good evening all, I was exploring an old property today with a friend, and came across some Daffodils in the woods. There were about three varieties in all. I only took a picture of one of them. I was wondering if I could possibly get an ID on it.

I THINK it's a historical variety, as the building located on the property was completed in 1911. The LATEST this plant was planted was 1930, if that's any help.
Excuse me for not revealing its location. If it IS a historical variety (a rare one at that), I would rather not have someone going and digging it up. I'll notify the correct organizations.

The NOID Daffodil link will take you to a picture of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: NOID Daffodil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodil NOID 1930 or earlier

you might send the photo to Brent and Becky's Bulbs -- or to oldhousegardens.com (they know heirloom bulbs).

o

You might also check DaffSeek if you haven't tried it already. Looks like a small cup variety, if you add in the height & some other info, you can narrow it down. Unfortunately, they don't have photos on all daffs, maybe the rarer ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: daffseek

o

I wonder if it could be Narcissus Conspicuus (Barrii). One link here and a different one below.

http://www.croft16daffodils.co.uk/div3-conspicuus.html

Here is a link that might be useful: N barrii conspicuus

o

I used to love exploring the old estates of LI when I was growing up. It's amazing what can hang on over the years.

Conspicuous looks like a possibility also baths flame maybe.... It's hard to ID daffs since there are so many thousands of varieties. Best bet would be to grow it next to a bulb of the possible match and see how it does over a few years. Or enjoy it as it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here