Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would appreciate help in IDing this daffodil

Posted by jewell_pnw (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 21:36

https://picasaweb.google.com/100941420874158197283/UnknownLightAndFluffyMultiPetalDaffodil#

I got bulbs of this little, very doubled but fine petals daffodil from a friend who moved into a homestead built in the 1930's or earlier. These daffodils had naturalized in the pastures around the house. If anyone can identify them I would be very grateful. They have been in several beds that were eliminated, and I wasn't very professional in finding and moving them to a safe place. I have an area where they could naturalize if I could find more of these early blooming bulbs (and not go around stabbing the ones I have trying to find them to dig up in the fall ).

These are not miniatures, but are a smaller variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of this daffodil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would appreciate help in IDing this daffodil

Compare with Telamonius 'Plenus'??

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffodil site

o

To me they appear to be Van Sion Daffodils, which are commonly found on old homestead sites. I have some of these I got from my family when they lived at an old house in Michigan, they were very crowed and they were just leaves so I did not know what to expect for the flowers.

I also wanted to mention you do not have to necessarily wait until fall to dig some of them up, you can dig them up with foliage, even while there in bloom if your careful! The key is to leave as much dirt around the plant as possible, so you don't disturb there very delicate roots. I dug up my bulbs when the plants were in full green leaf and they bloomed a few blooms the following 1st spring afterward, and right now there loaded with even more buds then last year!

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Sion Daffodil

o

Reading down hostalover's link:

A.M. Kirby, Daffodils, Narcissus & How to Grow Them, 1907:
"This famous double yellow daffodil of old American gardens is also very popular in Europe under the name of Wilmer�s Double Golden Daffodil and among the more botanical as N. telamonius plenus, it being the doubled form of a single yellow large trumpet called Telamonius in England and Van Sion in Holland."

So it looks as if we've both given you the same answer, jewell pnw.

o

Van Sion is a synonym of the correct registered name of Telamonius Plenus. I too think it is Telamonius Plenus.

The link below has lots of pics as well as several synonyms it goes by, or has gone by in the past.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Telamonius Plenus at Daffseek

o

Thanks everyone! I think you are all on the right track. This seems to be an old variety that has many names based on all the information shared here. Anyone have a good source for bulbs???

o

Old house gardens has it.... but since you already seem to have a few, why not try something new? If you replant and free the ones you have from competition they should multiply just fine. You can save your dollars for other things!

Speaking of other things to spend your dollars on, I tacked on a link to old house gardens. Maybe a variety of new "oldies" would round out your daff garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here