Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tommies!

Posted by johnnieb Washington, DC (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 21:37

Blooming in my garden today, Crocus tommasinianus 'Ruby Giant'. Got these from Brent & Becky's Bulbs a few years ago. This is the only crocus that has done well for me here in Washington, DC, and it has done spectacularly.

Crocus tommasinianus

Crocus tommasinianus

Crocus tommasinianus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tommies!

How pretty! A friend recently gave me some clumps of these and she just called them Tommies. I am glad to now know their 'real' name.

Sue

o

How pretty!I especially love that last pic.

Karen

o

I just planted those last fall. They have not shown up yet in my zone. There is more than 1 variety but Ruby Giant is the one I bought. Im really looking forward to it after seeing your pictures!

o

The flowers don't last long but I have gotten so much pleasure from these little guys. They are the first flowers to bloom in my garden every year and I love the color. The species typically has pale lavender flowers but in my opinion the selection 'Ruby Giant' is much better.

BTW to see the photos full size (and the last one is especially worth it) just click on the photo, it will take you to Flickr and then click on "all sizes".

o

johnnieb- Those are sensational! I agree with Karen, that last pic is off the charts! It looks like it should be enlarged and hung on the wall!!! Verrrry nice!

BTW Are the Cherry trees blooming there in DC yet? I talked to a friend that is planning to drive up this Saturday just to see them.

Thanks for sharing the Tommies!

-Frank

o

Gorgeous!

o

Tommies will spread and naturalize in a lawn with little effort from you. You can separate all those bulbs after bloom is finished, and replant them all over the lawn. Spread out your planting, it will fill in, in time. Because they bloom so early you won't have to delay cutting the lawn much past the end of April.

o

I also have the ordinary pale lavender form of C. tommasinianus, and they have seeded themselves all over my garden almost to the point of being weeds. Too bad, because I don't particularly like the color! 'Ruby Giant' has been much better behaved; the bulbs multiply within the clump, but I haven't seen any seedlings popping up anywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here