Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthianovak

First Tulips blooming

cynthianovak
14 years ago

Please indugle me as my fingers type out a great loud cheer. Many of up are still waiting for the snow to thaw.

But the first tulips are blooming here near Dallas TX. It is coming. Anemones are right behind them. Crocus have been up for a while and daffs started with the earliest Rnjnveld Early sensation and ice follies has starts with several others. Yippee! I planted 2300 tulips this year counting about 200 species babies. I know that I am mad, but many of you share the blissful madness of spring bulbs.

there, now I can get back to tasks at hand...just needed to shout a bit.

c

Comments (16)

• melaroma
    14 years ago

How exciting! I envy you. I have two inches of snow with the promise of more snow tonight. Pictures Please! For all of us who are still waiting for spring to arrive it would be nice. Enjoy!

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

What a glorious show you will have!

I planted a CostCo bag of viridifloras & one bloom opened today. I'm underwhelmed. Shape is like a skinny lily flowered variety. I was envisioning voluptuous rounded form.

• Donna
    14 years ago

Four kinds of daffodils blooming and counting, hyacinths in glorious fragrant beauty too. I am convinced that spring has truly arrived (early spring). My husband came in last night and said, I have some news that will make you very happpy....next week-end is the beginning of Daylight Savings Time! :)

iris gal, I planted viridifloras last year too, and was also underwhelmed. The pictures in magazines are so gorgeous....:(

• melaroma
    14 years ago

I discovered some daffodils a street over while on a walk with DH and now I drive by every morning on my way to work and back. They cheer me up and have me grinning like an idiot.

• brit5467
    14 years ago

I just got my first few dwarf catab dutch iris this week. First time planting them and they're so vivid. Too bad my pic doesn't really show their intensity and the yellow inside (and ignore my pitiful pansies in the background :)

Yes, Spring has sprung. Have plenty of tulip leaves up, some as high as 8" and daffys that will be blooming soon. Also, my nearly dead Catmit plant I got on clearance and planted in late fall is popping up with some very healthy leaves !!

Still have much more to plant, tho, since I 'gutted' my garden in the fall and am starting over. Still have mud :(

bonnie aka brit5467

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:7910}}

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi All
    Here is a link to Picassa photos of this year's tulips. Snow fell last night. Today was supposed to be gorgeous but instead it is just plain cold. The last pics were the snow last night
    To those of you up north...it's on its way
    c

Here is a link that might be useful: March 21st 2010 Tulips!

• granburyflowergirl
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! Absolutely breathtaking! Thanks for the pics, they are inspiring
    Nik

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    14 years ago

What a fantastic display! Very colorful! Bulbs are such a welcome sight in spring.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Wow, that's just beautiful and thanks for sharing photos.

• sunandshadow
    14 years ago

Spring is definitely making its way slowly North. :) I found buds on two of my tulip varieties today, even though some of the others are barely an inch tall. Hyacinth buds are almost ready to open, I can see their colors through the outer layer, same with the squill. The only things blooming already are crocuses and a few of my neighbor's daffodils. The irises are quite a bit slower - the have 3 inches of leaves but no sign of flower buds. A lot of the berry bushes too are just starting to leaf out.

I continue to be puzzled by my muscari - the leaves survived the winter under 2 feet of snow, and just started growing again, now they are really long, and no sign of flower buds. *scratches head* anyone else in zone 6 with muscari?

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Cynthianovak
    I love the orange, yellow & white tulip combination. Names?
    And the blue anemone with the white pansy edged with the anemone color. Priceless!!

Brit
    Love Cantab. Darn, they just want more winter chill here :-(

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you all
    Iris gal: the mix is 4 emperor tulips. I believe Colorblends sells then as Tang Dynasty. I got them as a special from VE 100 each of Orange Emperor, Sweetheart, Yellow purssima and White Emperor. The orange in the mix comes up first for me.

Those little pansies (sometimes called panolas) were a big box find. Not labeled, tiny plants in November they are a big slpash of color. Got lucky with the anemone blend of colors too.

• cynthianovak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

could photo 7 be Bravoure?

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

Looks great and I'm extremely envious of the anemones since they won't grow here! I would drive by your house on any excuse just to see that nice dose of spring. Thanks for the pictures.

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Appreciate the tulip names. I have some salmon ranunculus blooming and the color adds greatly to my garden. The tulips would be perfect. I'll check with Colorblends this fall. Thank you.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Just lovely pictures. I don't do many spring bulbs in my garden, but my neighbor started growing some a few years back and I began to encourage her like mad. I can't imagine what I'd do if you were my neighbor. I'd be in spring heaven for sure....... My dafs are all blooming now, with Tet e Tet finishing up and the split cup Cassata not far behind. I planted a few new Jonquils last year called Golden Echo and they are in full bloom right now. Nicely fragrant too. Muscari are doing well, with Muscari Ocean Magic looking very serene with her sky blue flowers. A different color from the old standard dark blue. They'd look nice planted together I think. I did manage to plant a few tulips, but they aren't up yet, so still something to look forward to.