Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another foundling

Posted by fairfield8619 8 N La. (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 22:26

Any idea what this is? It came from a vacant lot- been there for years no doubt. I thought it was an allium at first but there's none of THAT smell so to speak. Actually I can't detect any fragrance at all. The leaves are rolled almost completely up like a jonquil.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another foundling

Ornithogalum. Star of Bethlehem. Around here, it's a weedy pest.

o

Yes, in your zone it reseeds & the bulbs multiply like mad.

o

Thanks, I thought I remembered seeing it online somewhere but didn't know what it was. I don't know about reseeding- it was the only one there. Maybe the heat makes it behave? I will keep it in a pot just in case. It's nice in a quiet way I think.

o

Yes, it does reseed prolifically. From a handful of bulbs about 30 years ago, I now have thousands, mainly in my lawn. Herbicides don't even take it out. But, I don't mind. It's pretty, hardy, and nothing phases it.

o

This is the worst pest known to man-for heaven's sake don't let it get in your flower beds.

o

This is the worst pest known to man-for heaven's sake don't let it get in your flower beds.

o

Is this plant the same thing as a rain lily?

o

run. run far.

I'm still trying to get rid of this, from a single volunteer.

o

Rain lily is Zephyranthes, not the same thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here