Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a souce of this daffodil

Posted by jewell_pnw (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 22:27

Thanks again for anyone that helped me to find a name for this old daffodil. I've been looking for a source, but need some help.

According to DaffSeek.org it can be called, "in Europe under the name of 'Wilmer's Double Golden Daffodil' and among the more botanical as N. telamonius plenus, it being the doubled form of a single yellow trumpet called 'Telamonius' in England and 'Van Sion' in Holland."

Other names they had for it are: "'Centifolio', 'Double Van Sion', 'Guernsey Cabbage Daffodil', 'The Wilmer's Great Double Daffodil', 'Van Sion', 'Vincent Sion', 'Wilmer's Double Golden Daffodil', 'Wilmer's Great Double Daffodil', 'Wilmot's Double Daffodil'"

Thanks in advance for looking. It is wonderful having a hardy variety that comes back year after year and I would love naturalizing a part of the yard with this yellow gem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of this daffodil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a souce of this daffodil

Hi jewell_pnw,

Years ago, I dug a double daff from an old house site and have been told that it is Telamonius Plenus (aka Van Sion) by 2 very experienced Daffodil Society members. I am assuming they were correct.

Anyway, I have several clumps of them that are needing dug and divided as they have very few blooms, if any.

I'd be happy to share numerous bulbs of them with you, for postage. How many bulbs is unknown until they bloom, wither for at least 6 weeks and then get dug. I would then cure, dry and store them until mailing them in late summer.

If interested, just drop me an email and please put your GW name in the Subject line along with DAFFS for postage.

I also have what I think is pseudonarcissus (a specie daff I think), a very early, small single yellow that is great for naturalizing. They also need dug, divided, and shared if you would like some of those too.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Telamonius Plenus

Mine are just starting to bloom, so maybe I can get some new pics. They remind me of a daffodil having a bad hair day, and are not one of my favorites.

o

Hi chemocurl - Narcissus pseudonarcissus is our native daffodil and one of my favourites. It is very dainty and I like the contrasting pale perianth and darker yellow trumpet. This is the daffodil Wordsworth would have seen growing wild beside the lake when he 'wandered lonely as a cloud...'

Here is a link that might be useful: Narcissus pseudonarcissus at Ullswater, Lake District

o

Sue, I did PM you and would love to have any bulbs you can spare for postage.

Flora_UK, that is a lovely photo of the Lake District. It is nice to know that this variety of bulb is plentiful and gracing the landscape. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here