Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Crocus

Posted by whiteforest 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 22:29

My neighbor has crocus, tulips and daffodils growing up randomly all over his lawn, and he's planning to rip it out and sod this spring, so he let me dig up whatever I wanted. I recovered about 100 little crocus bulbs, 98% of which have not bloomed yet this year. Will I have any luck transplanting them to my yard? What do I need to know about growing crocuses?

Also, because my yard is also getting a complete overhaul, can I plant some of the crocus in pots for the summer, then put the bulbs in the ground later?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Crocus

Also, because my yard is also getting a complete overhaul, can I plant some of the crocus in pots for the summer, then put the bulbs in the ground later?
I think that would be fine, or you could plant a bunch of them (crowded in a hole) in an out of the way place and then move them later. I say that because I have problems maintaining 'proper' moisture in containers and find everything does better for me in the ground.

Also found this at the link below:
Transplanting/Dividing: The best time to move or divide bulbs is when their foliage has all but withered, signaling the end of active growth. Lift them with a digging fork or a spade, taking care to avoid injuring the bulbs, and replant them immediately at the same depth and about three times their diameter apart.
Even though they were dug early, they should be fine and grow and recover and bloom for you. It might take them an additional year to recover and bloom though.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: whiteflowerfarm.com/crocus

o

Thank you, Sue! I loosely covered all of the roots with damp soil yesterday after I dug them out, so I'll get out and find a place for them this afternoon.

o

Well, the crocuses would have been successfully transplanted if I wasn't waking up every morning to them being ravaged by squirrels! Grr.

o

I've never had much luck with crocuses because the critters love to dig them up or nibble the leaves down to nubs. Grr.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here