Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Wildflowers and Flowering Ferns

Posted by melrose 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 22:58

I just attended the Chicago flower show and bought some Japaneses Wildflowers and Flowering Fern bulbs. I've never heard of these and the ladies at the booth said they'd be winter hardy in zone 5 but of course they were from Holland so I'm not certain if they were familiar with our climate and just trying to sell them.

Here's the website:

http://www.wonderflowers.nl/

Does anyone have experience with these bulds? Is there a name that I might recognize in a reference book? Any comments or advice? Did I w?

Did I waste my $$

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Wildflowers and Flowering Ferns

I don't know what to tell you :-) First, I'd never recommend buying anything from anyone that can't supply the correct botanical name. The photo of the "Japanese Wonderflowers" looks a lot Mirabilis jalapa, commonly known as 4 o'clocks and could be a bastardization of that name (mirabilis in Latin translates to 'wonderful'). These are a semitropical tuberous plant that is only marginally hardy in cold climates like yours. It does tend to reseed freely, though.

Second, no ferns flower! This plant is Incarvillea delavyi or hardy gloxinia but it too will be only marginally hardy for you as well. You might want to grow this in a container and bring indoors for winter.

And FWIW, I'd not consider either of these true 'bulbs'.

o

Thanks for the information - I think you're right on the ID. I guess the spring fever just hits and you're anxious to buy these wonderful "new" things. It appears neither are hardy in our area which they claimed. I guess it will be a lessoned learned. I'll try them and who know maybe I love them. Thanks again.

o

Seems like there was a thread a couple of years ago about someone selling 4 o'clocks as Japanese wonderflowers. I'm not sure how they could do that, big rip off. Four o'clocks do form tubers though, monstrous ones over time which can be dug each year like dahlias. They reseed though & bloom almost as fast. I have 3 plants that have been hardy, although some in other areas in my yard did not come back from the root.

o

I bought some of the Flowering Ferns at a London Garden show about two years ago. They are WONDERFUL. We had a very cold winter this year (2010/11), but they still managed to emerge from their ceramic pots a month ago (as a fern) and are now richly sporting the bit pink flowers.
Can't recommend them highly enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here