Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crocus lawn

Posted by KristiePDX 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 23:06

Last October I bought 1000 crocus from an online bulb distributor for $133 (5 different varieties of tommies). I planted them in small area of the lawn(approx 100 square ft) with plans for expanding every year. My tommies started popping up in late February and were in full bloom the first few days of march. While I love the visual impact, I do not think I will continue on with the expansion. I find myself walking though the grass and "checking" my other plants in the yard. I would just trample them. Anyways, thought the folks on here would like to see my crocus patch. My photographic skills leave much to be desired. The colors really POP in real life. The kinda look sad in pictures (NOT in real life)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pretty little crocus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crocus lawn

Wow, I think it looks beautiful. Looks to me as if it would be fairly easy to walk there by stepping between them. And soon enough they just dissapear back underground for another year.

o

Those Crocus are beautiful! I've always wanted to see a home photo of a crocus naturlized lawn, yours looks very nice.

o

IMO the very best way to grow Crocuses is in grass. I think yours look lovely and they will spread of their own accord. I don't think a bit of walking will hurt them and I don't think you could eradicate them now if you tried. They will leave cormlets and seed behind. This is by far the commonest way of growing them over here and they seem to manage fine in lawns.

o

Thanks! I really do like them, I am just afraid of stepping on them. I have (5) fruit trees hidden in my front yard along the north and east fence line. I plan on keeping the ones I have and MAYBE adding 1000 more and stopping. Starting again where these end at that narrow space and creating the illusion of a stream spilling into the main yard and ending in a swoosh of some type. Does that sound good?

o

Don't you have to mow before the folliage has died down? My crocus are not in my lawn so I never thought about it.

o

Aren't they cute? :)

o

I have crocus growing in my grass and I didn't plant them there. It is a problem trying not to step on them.

o

It really is a problem. To the right is additional parking, to the left is the house. When people come over, the cut through the grass. I had not anticipated this. I am not really the type to want to throttle friends and family at the front door, but this spring I have come very close.

The variety of crocus I choose were Crocus tommasinianus. These are of the earliest blooming types of crocus (so I've heard) I figured they would be over and done with by the time mowing is needed. The foliage is finer and shorter than the dutch crocus as well. We plan on mowing this patch high for a month or so after blooming has stopped. I don't think mowing will be a big deal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here