Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Daffodil bloom of the season, what kind do you think it is?

Posted by hostalover360 4-WC Wis (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 23:10

Photobucket

Well the first Daffodil opened up in my yard today, but I have no idea what kind it is for sure! I thought Rip Van Wrinkel but now I'm not sure. I know there double Daffodils, there shorter then my other Daffodils, and the flowers are quite small in size. I got these Daffodils from my Moms house in Lower Michigan, they lived at an old homesite, The Daffodils were in an old established clump, that barely even flowered, and were in desperate need of seperating. any suggestions would be awesome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Daffodil bloom of the season, what kind do you think it

It may be Van Sion. Daffseek is down right now for maintenance, but I'll check it later and post a link with several pics of it. It doesn't look to be Rip Van Winkle to me as RVW has pointed petals as shown HERE

If possible try to get additional pics as the blooms mature.

Sue

o

I second the Van Sion, especially because of the green tint (unless that is a product of the photo). They are an heirloom variety, so coming from an old home site may be an additional clue.

o

Chemocurl, That is exactly why I think there not Rip Van Wrinkle types, It matchs Rip Van Wrinkle in the sense that it is a short double daffodil, with small blooms, but the petals are rounded instead of pointy like a daisy. I'll be sure to take more pictures, I see 2 more of this varity of daffodil starting to open near this one.

o

Daffodil

I just wanted to say I definitly think there Van Sion Daffodils, I did some reserch myself and the look just like them! here is another picture of a different blook that opened up today

o

Yes, definitely not Rip Van Winkle.

One possibility that it 'might' be is Double Campernelle

Van Sion I see is actually a synonym of Telamonius Plenus. Check out the pics of Telamonius Plenus at Daffseek. It also says, "Doubling varies from partial to completely double;" along with a lot of other Daff-speak that I don't comprehend well. I also think that there are some pics of the Telamonius Plenus at Daffseek that are just plain incorrect, but who am I to say such a thing? A couple of those pics look exactly like Rip Van Winkle.

If my Telamonius Plenus (aka Van Sion) are still decent, I'll try getting a pic here soon. A pretty reliable source told me that what I had was Telamonius Plenus (aka Van Sion) and I'm thinking mine are different than yours.

Sorry to be of such little help and maybe just being confusing. I wish we had a historical daff expert here.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here