Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can daffodils rise through 6' soil + 4' mulch?

Posted by gardenerzone4 4 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 23, 11 at 23:16

I planted 100 Marieke daffodils last fall in a full sun clay site. Planted them 6" deep, then topped with 4" of crushed leaves/pine needles.

Can daffodils rise through 6" soil + 4" mulch? So far, only 20 of the 100 daffs have emerged. Their shoots are 5" above the mulch line. The other 80 daffs are probably still working their way through the mulch. I'm worried about them getting stuck in there permanently. I can't brush the mulch back now without breaking off daffodil tips.

If you have experience with daffs being strong enough to emerge through thick mulch, please set my mind at ease. I've read that some people even plant their daffs 9" deep to slow down the multiplying effect. That can't be too far from my setup, can it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can daffodils rise through 6' soil + 4' mulch?

Hi gardenerzone4,

Welcome to The Bulb Forum.

In checking, I see that Marieke is a Division One Trumpet (Long Cupped) daffodil that is hardy in your zone. Since bulbs are typically planted at a depth of 2-3 times the height of the bulb, and considering your zone, I think you planted them 'just right'. I would not really count pine needles and crushed leaves as additionl depth, since they are so much lighter than soil, particularly heavier clay soil.

I'd say so long as the soil drains fairly well, and if the newly planted bulbs got sufficient moisture to develop roots before the ground froze, that Marieke will put on a very nice show for you later this spring. Since the tips have emerged, that is a very good sign they will be fine. I think they may be a bit later than mid season, since the mulch will prevent the soil warming up in the sun.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Marieke at Daffseek

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here