Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My bulbs are growing in the bag...

Posted by metalette Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 23:44

I found some packages of crocuses, irises, and tulips that I did not realize were in the basement. The tulips were moldy so I threw them away, but about half of the irises and crocuses were NOT moldy and have already starting to grow... I'm not sure what to do, I know they are normally supposed to be planted in the fall, but I think maybe the basement might have chilled them enough to survive. Should I chill them in the refrigerator now for a few more weeks? Or are they ready to plant since they've already got little stems sticking out of the bulbs? Should I try planting them outside? Should I plant them indoors? I just put them in the drawer in the fridge, so I'm hoping this doesn't kill them since they've already started growing. Any advice will help, thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My bulbs are growing in the bag...

Into soil immediately. Or they will deplete themselves.

The iris (Dutch ?) may not like the outdoor temps right now. You could place the pots outside in a sunny (?) spot during the day and bring in at night. The crocus may not mind cold night temps.

o
RE: My bulbs are growing in the bag...

I have snow on the ground but just bought a pack of bulbs which were sprouting, so I potted the bulbs indoors and will move them to the ground outside when it gets warmer. Large peat pots are excellent for this type of use because you can put the whole pot in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here