Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodils: best time to relocate?

Posted by wynswrld98 z7 WA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 23:46

I have hundreds of daffodils planted on my acre in Seattle/Tacoma WA suburb, planted in ground. Some of them aren't blooming and I believe it's due to not enough sun (e.g., a large group of them here and there all not blooming in areas I believe too shady). I want to relocate them to a sunny location but am not sure best time of year to do so? The ones that will actually bloom have buds on them now or are just opening so it is pretty obvious which I need to transplant but am not sure when is best time to do it...

I do not believe the bulbs are crowded requiring division as reason for not blooming, the ones not blooming are clearly in more shady areas vs. ones blooming are in more sunny areas.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodils: best time to relocate?

The best time to divide is after the foliage begins to yellow, allowing more time to send energy to the bulb for next year's bloom.

o
RE: Daffodils: best time to relocate?

Anytime from June - October...but I'd say do it when the foliage is yellowing but still present - easier to find the bulbs than when it dies back completely...once the foliage dies back, it becomes a bit like an easter egg hunt, and if you're anything like me, you ALWAYS end up slicing the biggest and best bulbs with your shovel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here