Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

The charm of Iris Reticulata

I love this tiny charmerÂ

Each flower is only about an inch and half wide.

{{gwi:9872}}

Comments (11)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

They are charming aren't they? I have quite a few different blue and purple ones but the yellow danfordiae never have come back.

• anneliese_32
    15 years ago

We have a bunch of the wild blue ones, came with the woody property and I never disturbed them, but one spot is dying out, so after they have bloomed I will the ones left to a different site. I like them better then the large irises.

• stimpy926
    15 years ago

Most like it hot and dry in summer, non irrigated. Or, will probably do ok on a slope. Danfordiae is especially picky about being kept DRY in summer. Only 2 out out a doz. or so from last year, came back this year.

Katherine hodgens, one I have, has been tolerating summer moisture in my low lying bed under vinca minor.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:9871}}

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are in my main garden, a raised bed, which does get watered. I didnÂt buy any of the rare and expensive ones. That is an active bed with so much digging going on that losing some small bulbs is going to happen. So all minor bulbs planted there have to be expendable. This is the third year for these. The most-purple one has really reproduced so I think I will dig some later and spread them around a bit. Since the leaves really grow after flowering I will have to figure out when the right time is.

Katharine Hodgkin is very pretty. I like the veining on the falls, which look a little larger than most.

I think the one I took a photo of is Pixie. I also have Pauline which is a deep rose purple with a touch of white and no yellow. I find the color of this one does not show up against the bark mulch. When itÂs too cold to be outside I want to be able to see them from the house! Pixie just glows. I liked the pale blue Cantab so much I planted a lot more of those last fall. These were from Brent and BeckyÂs.

I didnÂt buy a yellow iris because I was counting on yellow crocuses, though so far they have not bloomed together. I keep meaning to buy the iris color assortment when they go on sale but itÂs been sold out every year by that time!

The iris are the first thing I have to bloom, way before the first daffodil. They have quite a long bloom time too. They will get a little tattered under the snow but survive it remarkably well.

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

I loved these for their long bloom and colors last year.

Planted more last Fall but this year both the new Iris Reticulata and Crocus blooms dissolved into the ground with the first rain they experienced.

Blooms only lasted 2-3 days before starting to wither and ground has been moist in same bed last year's are in.

The ones in a container didn't even come up so assume they rotted. Wasn't really wet winter except for one snow storm early March.

Not having a "good" flowering bulb Spring but I know I'll buy more come late Summer anyway.

"Hope springs eternal!"

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry you had a problem with these, newbie! I think they are worth a repeat try, though. We have had 2 snows since these came up. The lighter colors like pale blue seem more affected, becoming kind of translucent. The darker purple is either sturdier or the damage is not visible due to the color.

Your bulbs may not be rotted. I planted some crocus 3 years ago and covered the areas with rocks to deter squirrels. I thought they all rotted. This year some turned up! Only about 10% but itÂs something. I have no idea what they were doing in the interim. They must have sent up very fine foliage that I did not notice amid the other things. I would maybe transplant the entire soil ball from the pot into the garden without disturbing it. If they are alive give them natural conditions in which to grow their leaves and recover.

Bulbs can surprise you. I transplanted a favorite old lily when I had to redo a bed. It was the wrong time of year, late June. I thought it had died. After a year or two "on vacation" it turned up and is doing fine.

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

linnea56, I already know I'll order more Iris Reticulata late this summer. I love their perfect little bloom. It's the detail in such a small bloom that has the "charm" as you said.

Now, to find a place for the whole kit and kaboodle that's in a large round shallow tub will be a challenge...but I wouldn't want them to go to waste. Think I'll check in the soil to see the condition of one or two bulbs.

Bulbs certainly do surprise! I cleaned out a bed to redo it last year and thought I had all the crocus and grape hyacinth bulbs moved. Wouldn't you know little sprouts that flowered came up here and there. Luckily all the Daffodil bulbs were larger and got put where they were wanted...LOL.

• stimpy926
    15 years ago

linnea56 if you want something to bloom before Iris reticulata, get some Crocus crysanthus, the snow crocus. If planted in a southern exposure they'll be even earlier. And of course there's Galanthus.....

• tepelus
    15 years ago

I love them too. Unfortunately, so do the pesky squirrels (maybe rabbits). Whenever mine begin to bloom, something nips off the flowers and leaves them on the ground to wilt.

Karen

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I just scored six 4" pots of 'Katherine Hodgkin' each with 4 bulbs for $2 each because they were done blooming. I had not seen that one locally before. All of my reticulatas were planted from potted plants that were done blooming. (I used to be a florist)

• reyk
    14 years ago

Anyone have Iris Reticulata (Katherine Hodgkin) seeds you could spare? I have a few flower seeds available for trade, let me know.

Thanks,
    ChristopherVerger@gmail.com

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz