Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodils aren't blooming as I'd expected...

Posted by quilt_mommy 5/6 NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 0:20

Last year I planted nearly 100 daffodils. This year about 8 are blooming so far. We had a mole that I think we were able to rid of, but I'm wondering if he damaged the daffs? It looks as if the mole or some other critters may have eaten some of them - but the wierd thing is, I'd say about 30-40 that have budded and are ready to bloom, the rest don't even have buds forming, just leaves growing. Is this normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodils aren't blooming as I'd expected...

Are they all the same variety of daffy? Some may be early, mid season or late season bloomers. So they will bud at
different times. Moles don't eat bulbs. Voles will, but they eat tulips and lilies and such, but not daffy's. Daffy's are poisonous to most critters.
Pam

o

As Pam stated above, daffs bulbs are not eaten my any creatures. My local daff friend did tell me though that she has had undersoil critters dig under hers, causing them to either not bloom (no moisture due to tunneling), or to even die out.

As Pam asked...are they all the same variety, or possibly a mix that might be early, mid season, and late ones?

I had very very early daffs blooms about March 14th. There have been many cultivars blooming since then. There are now a couple of cultivars that are at different stages of budding. One particular variety (Martinette),likely won't bloom for maybe another two weeks as the buds have barely emerged in the folds of the foliage.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Martinette-super late bloomer

o

Sue & Pam - thank you so much. They do seem to be different varieties, so that makes sense. Maybe some are later bloomers. Also it does look as if the mole did tunnel underneath, and I even had to put a few back into the dirt, as I was waking up to see a handful of the bulbs that I planted last fall sitting on top of the soil. They seemed to have still grown, but maybe as you said they just won't get buds this year. I tried to water them as the ground looked dry, so I hope that they are salvageable. Thanks so much for your help! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here