Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnighttulip

hyacinths and Alliums Baby Bulbs..:]

midnighttulip
14 years ago

Hi tiday i received the hyacinths i was waiting for, for a while now! anywho when i opened up the packet i saw that they were growing, they have long green leaves and even small hyacinths flower bulbs, the shipper did of course send the bulbs in an envelope and the envelope had the buble wrap from the inside, me living in ca. the whether has been rough lately, today was 95, yesterday was 90, so when i opened the envelope i saw the hyacinths leaves really really weak, kind of like when you steam cabbage. the leaves are not dried neither are the flower buds or anything everything is still green, but what worries me is if they will do fine? i already planted them in pots just because the leaves are very weak i want to wait for them to get stronger again and then re-plant them in the ground! also the flower buds are tiny, and so are the bulbs! is that normal for a hyacinths i myself have never ever had them, i did see on the net that the bulbs are pretty big in size these how ever are tiny, the biggest one i have is probably the size of a quarter and the smallest is the size of a penny.

the allium bulbs are a bigger size than the hyacinths, they look like a daffodil bulb, and looks like the leaves have been cut off for packaging, they are still green and strong though. will the Alliums also grow this year? i also planted these on a pot and some in the ground.

will the hyacinths get strong again? or will i have to wait till next year for them to bloom? will the alliums grow..?

Comments (6)

• midnighttulip
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Addition to my message!:]

the Allium bulbs look like this

http://www.missouriplants.com/Pinkalt/Allium_stellatum_bulb.jpg

that is just about the same length that the stem is, only it is deep green color!

the Hyacinths look nothing like this

http://www.flower-gardening-made-easy.com/image-files/hyacinth-development.jpg

the only thing they have in common is the leaves, (of course the leaves aren't up they are sad and are down) the flower bud looks just like the one on the 3rd hyacinth of the image up there, only my flower buds are tiny!

i'll try to get a real picture of my own plants!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

will the hyacinths get strong again? or will i have to wait till next year for them to bloom? will the alliums grow..?

Sadly, bulbs should not be dug and traded (especially wrapped in bubble wrap) especially if being mailed to a zone 9, even at this time of year.

Some bulbs dug and moved and planted immediately (like to a pot or another bed the same day) will maybe suffer a setback, but will likely be all right.

Only time will tell if yours will make it. It sounds like the hyacinths are offsets that might need to grow a season or two or 3 before blooming. Yours most likely will not bloom next year, due to the foliage not being left in place to feed the bulb and make the bloom for next year.

Maybe someone in your zone will reply...I'm wondering if you are cold enough for Hyacinths.

You might want to add your state abbreviation to your zone box (See I am zone 5/6 S IN so it will show when you post.

Sue

• midnighttulip
    Original Author
    14 years ago

does it really have to be cold to grow hyacinths? it gets as hot as 115 during the summer and 30 degrees during the winter here in california!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

does it really have to be cold to grow hyacinths? it gets as hot as 115 during the summer and 30 degrees during the winter here in california!
    Now that you have posted your location, possibly someone from zone 9 CA will reply.

The link below shows them to be for zones 3-8. I don't know if zone 9 is too hot for them in the summer, or if zone 9 does not have enough cool temps in the winter so they will bloom....or maybe a combination of both. Hopefully Al will check in.

You might want to still add your location to you profile...so it will always automatically be shown whenever you post...as well as being on your Member Page.

Sorry I can't help.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Hyacinth

• midnighttulip
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hey thanks for providing that link :]! that website you posted said i was a zone 8B...im confused because when i entered my zip code here on GW it said i was a zone 9 but the link you posted up said i was 8B and it even listed the city where i live...:/ so i wonder what i am 9 or an 8 im confused...

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

I'm hoping you have a place in your garden to the north east. You'll need early morning sun followed by 'filtered light' to prevent those flabby leaves from frizzling. And wind shelter. Some sun shading may be necessary.

In your potting mix use a sharp grit, some leaf mold or ordinary potting mix, and keep it on the dry side. If those bulbs have few to no roots they can't cope with lots of water. They'll rot.

While the leaves are still there plant only so the white of the stalk and the bulb is covered. When the leaves die off, plant into a deeper pot about three to four inches down, then 'plunge' the pot into a cool patch of garden with a 'Here I am!' label. Up to the rim of the pot. You're trying to keep the firmness up in the little bulbs, and it's usually easier to do that underground. If you want to mulch to retain soil moisture, so long as the drainage is good, that should be ok.

While they're still green, do a foliar feed - diluted half, or even quarter strength. Something suitable for tomatoes (the potash is helpful). Stronger will not be better...

You might have to wait one to two years to get any flowering response.

My zone 9 is very different from yours. We rarely get the temperature extremes. However, if you can provide relief from high soil temperatures and excessive dryness over the dormant period you can probably grow Hyacinths, although they may not sustain the 'full on' glory of the first season. A short-lived treasure, perhaps.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz