Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna and Zantadeschia questions

Posted by miclino 5 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 0:50

I recently purchased some Canna australia from Brent and Beckys. Would they affected by lawn chemicals if planted at the edge of the lawn? Is hot afternoon sun a bad idea?

Same questions for Zantadeschia aethiopica and Z. paco. Is part sun good enough for this plant?

Finally, would you plant these around the phone/internet pod/hub thingies that are in the lawn knowing that you have to dig the bulbs out later in the year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna and Zantadeschia questions

Also, the highs are barely hitting 60s here this week. I read that Cannas hate cool soil. These plants are in small pots with almost a foot of foliage. Should I wait to plant till its warmer?

o

I'm in FL. Cannas love the heat. Mine are in the hottest spot in my yard, up against a south facing wall in full sun. They love it. They will perform fine in up to half shade here, but prefer sun. They don't really get going until daytime temps start hitting upper 70s to low 80s. Mine stay in ground year round, but they are semi-dormant in winter. I'd wait to plant yours out until the daytime temps are in the 70s.

Zantadeschia prefers part shade. I have tried them in full sun here, and it is too much for them. But when I used to live in Portland, OR, they could take full sun there. The Zantadeschia is more of a cool weather plant.

o

Thanks!

o

Neither of these plants will survive outdoors over winter in Michigan. Be prepared to lift the tubers and store them frost free over winter. In the case of cannas I prefer to keep them in growth all the year round by keeping them in a centrally heated environment with plenty of light. They do not go dormant naturally so it is better to avoid this.

o

Was digging up the bed to plant the cannas and found the tubers from last season. They looked healthy and firm. We have had such a mild winter that I am not surprised they survived. Once it gets warmer I fully expect to see shoots.

How much light would be required to keep them from going dormant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here