Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving: what to do with bulbs?

Posted by kelisk8s ma (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 1:01

Hi,
I have been informed that we are going to have to sell my grandmothers house that I have been living in. She loved flowers and had beautiful tulips, daffodils, hyacinths (i can't spell), ect. I would love to take some of these bulbs with me, but I am new to flower gardening and am not sure how to take them out without damaging them. They are currently in bloom... the daffodils are not anymore, but I can identify where they are. They would have to be put in pots because we are not sure where we are going to end up. Please help me keep my grandma's spirit alive and tell me how I should do this! Thank you sooo much!
Kelli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving: what to do with bulbs?

Personally I'd delay - not dig anything until the house was actually being bid on. Sometimes a house takes months or even more than a year to sell, you might be able to wait until the bulbs have gone dormant for the year or until you know where you are moving to and can transplant them directly. Unless you already know who's going to be buying the house?

o

We don't know yet... we were hoping to be able to buy it but it gets complicated with medicare and back taxes. Unfortunately we can't afford it, which of course makes me sad. I'm hoping to be able to dig up these flowers to remember the house by. I'm guessing they'd go into pots for now until we have something more permanent. You think I should try to wait as long as possible?

o

You think I should try to wait as long as possible?
I think you should wait as long as possible. When you do have to dig them, I would not pot them up, but instead leave the foliage attached to pretty well dry and wither away (in a dry airy place) , and then store the bulbs until they can be planted in the ground at the proper planting time in the fall in your area.

Sorry to hear your grandmother's home is being sold, but it is nice that you will be able to take some of the nice flowers she grew and enjoyed. Bulbs are pretty rugged and even if they don't happen to bloom in 2011 due to having been disturbed at an inopportune time for them, they will likely live and bloom for you in later years. Good luck.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here