Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anamandy

Daffodils are a no show

lovetogarden
10 years ago

I live in zone 5 in upstate NY. I moved here last year after moving from a zone 3-4 area. My last garden had very fertile, rich soil. I alway grew daffs and tulips by the bushel and have never had a problem before. I grew the large King Alfred, and later in the season, the Poeticas would show up after the King Alfreds stopped blooming. I don't think I ever lost a bulb as everything bloomed prolifically.
Fast forward to my new house. The first thing I did when I moved here was to test the soil (ph, drainage, etc.). The soil was in terrible shape - very sandy and totally infertile. So I ammended the soil ( peat, compost, cow manure, good top soi). I didn't start gardening yesterday so I know how to fix a soil. I then planted several bushels of daffodils and tulips. I incorporated bonemeal into the soil before planting. Despite all I've done there is not one daffodil that is showing. Not even a leaf, though the tulips are already leafing out. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? They're planted properly. They were purchased from a top of the line nursery (place I've used for years becaue they have really pristine bulbs), and were planted at the proper depth in a sunny area, with a nice layer of leaf cover to protect against heaving. All the things I did at my last house so I have no idea what could be wrong. Anyone with any information please help. Thanks and sorry for the long posting.
Just wanted to add that I planted some in a big pot and am getting the same result.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?