Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do Gladiolus start to come up?

Posted by gypsysunrise Z6 VA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 2:27

Last year, I planted a few Gladiolus... When do they usually come out of dormancy, and start to sprout?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do Gladiolus start to come up?

Glads from last year---did you dig them and get them out already? They are a tender that can't freeze, unless you have the hardy ones. Many of us have made the same oops.

o

Mine started coming up the last week or so. Mine are the tender ones that you are supposed to dig. Oddly, the hardy ones I bought have slowly died. I'm down to 1 or 2, & they didn't bloom last year. I'm not sure why, other bulbs, including tender glads are doing fine nearby.

o

Tender glads are an iffy bet in zone 6. I have had them come back, but usually they don't. I have my doubts that yours returned, especially after the chilly winter we had.

They're cheap. If you buy and plant some now, you'll have plenty of blooms in about 90 days. Good luck!

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 14:43

My florest glad 'Priscilla' is just starting to send up shoots. In my zone I've found quite a few do return reliably if they are in a spot that has good drainage (alas,not easy to find in my heavy clay soil).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here