Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brody36

Are Tulips worth saving?

brody36
9 years ago

This was my first year planting tulips and I made the mistake of planting them in an area where I was planning on putting my dahlias. None of the tulips are species tulips so I am unsure if its worth leaving them in the ground until they die back considering they probably wont come back next year. They are currently flowering right now and my dahlias have begun to sprout in storage. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (3)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

Every year when I dig my tulips and find nice looking bulbs, I am torn with indecision about saving them. I know I will have to refrigerate for a couple of months before planting next December, and of course keep them in a cool dry place for the summer. After having gone through this several times in the past, with disappointing results, I have learned to resist the urge. Al

• brody36
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your help, I think I am going to pull them up after they finish flowering.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

There is nothing to say you cannot dig them up after flowering and replant in a more convenient location. Further, they don't even need to be replanted immediately but simply 'heeled in' or with the bulbs covered in soil but the foliage exposed to the sunlight.

In a PNW zone 8, tulip bulbs do not need to be refrigerated or stored after digging up to relocate. They can be planted or heeled in (and should be, all things considered) as soon as possible after removing them from their current location. If kept on the dry side during the summer, you should get a couple seasons of bloom from them before they poop out all together.