Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulipa greigii in full bloom (pic)

Posted by linaria 7 Switzerland (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 4:36

Hi there,
last year I did a planting design for an old people`s home. There is a cafe-thing with an outdoor area, and for vivid spring colors, I planned 180 Tulipa greigii on 16 m2 (or 172 sq ft). That is a kind of planter which doubles as banister.
Yesterday I managed to take fotos, and see what 2 days of sunshine did after a long cold spell.

When I saw those flowers it kind of made my heart hop,
well

have a nice spring, bye, Lin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulipa greigii in full bloom (pic)

Very colorful! Will these greigii naturalize in your climate?

o

Thanks, Irisgal
yes, they are longlived, as long as you plant them deep enough and dont damage them when weeding. We do get enough frost and a winter to make them go dormant without a problem.
Their color range is somewhat limited, so people often go for fancier cultivars. They are kind of old-fashioned work-horse varieties.

o, and here is a close-up

can you grow tulips in z9?

bye, Lin

o

Thanks for the answer Linaria. And the close-up!

I planted greigiis and kaufmannianas 17 years ago. They didn't have a chance re: naturalizing in the adobe soil.

Our winter night freezes are about 3 hrs. long for 3-4 weeks. So now that my soil is improved I'm wondering about trying greigiis again as I quite like them. If they didn't naturalize for you I knew they surely wouldn't here!

10 miles away is a colder zone 9 where peonies bloom! May have to move over the hill ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here