Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nasty Weather

Posted by kentstar 5b NE Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 3, 09 at 4:48

I hope my tulips, and daffs will make it through! We are supposed to get strong winds, rain, and then maybe snow tonight, tomorrow, and Monday. Ugh...
If I try to cover them, my cover will probably blow off. :(

kentstar

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nasty Weather

No need, they should be fine. What does the blooms in is temps much below freezing.

o

They should be fine. I have seen daffs in full bloom get snowed on, and it did not affect them very much. They were still pretty in the garden though not show quality blooms. If there is much snow, it might break the stems down a bit, but not much one can do. If you have any in bloom, or budded, why not get a bouquet to enjoy before the snow hits.

I look forward to seeing pics of that new bed in bloom.

Sue

o
RE: Nasty Weather-tulips?

Hi, tagging on to this..my tulips are not in bloom, my dafs are..should I protect either of them tonight? It is suppsed to be 28 degrees here in Columbus, Oh!
Thanks

o

Neither my daffs nor my tulips are in bloom yet! I think they are probably ok for tonight. I've got lots of good leaf but no bloom yet. :(

kentstar

o

erin and kentstar, how did your plants do overnight? You probably got the same six or more inches of snow I got at my place in Wayne County. Maybe more for kent. I just posted about my Crown Imperials looking like toast. Some row cover would have helped maybe but I didn't go out and cover anything yesterday. Never expected this much snow accumulation, but should have paid attention to the temps that were predicted.

o

Im sorry for all of you who got dumped on! The bulbs will probably be fine, if they are hardy theyve evolved to deal with this, but sad for the people who wanted to see flowers this year! We got 2 inches of heavy wet snow right while my earliest daffodils were starting to bloom. After it melted off they were fine, though some of the stems were bent and most of the flowers now are facing down. It wont be the first time Ive had to prop up their heads with twigs! Hope all will be well.

o

Since none were blooming yet, I think my daffs and tulips will be fine. Some of the stems might be weighed down or busted though. At least it's protecting them from the cold temps. :)

kentstar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here