Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spring delight: nice combination of bulbs in container (pics)

Posted by linaria 8a-b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 5:07

hello there
I had planted some bulbs in a big planter last fall. Lots of Narcissus Golden Harvest (reliable, early and showy), then some Narcissus whith white star shaped flowers (I hope I find the name tag somewhere) and some Tulipa fosteriana 'Purissima' or 'White Emperor' from a sale.
And they look splendid now. About 3 weeks ago it was all yellow daffs and now the white flower show up looking very smart.

Well have a great spring, cheers, Lin

24. march

Photobucket

this morning

Tulipa fosteriana Purissima

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spring delight: nice combination of bulbs in container (pics)

That is very nice!! Love the container too!!
cindy

o

Thank you for sharing!

I love your combinations and I love your white daffs!

Keriann~

o

• Posted by maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 14:47

How lovely. For the first time last year I planted some Muscari and dafs in two containers and had zero luck with them (foliage up on Muscari but no blooms). I don't know what I did wrong. Your container shows that it's possible. Glad you posted it....Maryl

o
name of white dafs

so I found the name: it was N. triandus Thalia. I did plant some Muscari, from a sale (yes, I know..) a white form, but so far they are just sprouting. At least there are some buds visible. And the other plants are tiny pansies (Viola cornuta). Next season I will stick to forget-me-nots as the tiny Violas are struggeling against the tall bulb stems.
Well, it is just so much fun: throw in some bulbs in fall and get the surprise in spring

cheers, Lin

o

About the Muscari and the daffs - if you planted the bulbs at the same time - you were probably too late for the Muscari. They start into action in late summer with leaves and roots while the daffs are just stretching and putting out a few roots.

Let them bake over the summer and see if you get better results next year.

And rescue the daffs if you planted them together. Muscari multiply like compound interest and can quickly swamp a container. (That might not be true in other zones but it surely is so in mine.)

o

Very nice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here