Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long to flowering size-Iris reticulata?

Posted by vetivert8 NI-NZ zone 9a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 5:53

I was just given a bazillion little I reticulata offsets which I have planted up in a gritty mix in pots - it being early autumn here.

With the usual mix of TLC and OMG! I forgot!! - how long until they reach flowering size - approximately?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long to flowering size-Iris reticulata?

I have never started them from offsets, but after 3 years mine seem to have multiplied, so I think yours might flower in 3 to 4 years.
I love those little iris, but, boy, we have been hit with a heatwave that burned all of my blossoms. :-(
To think that we had a snowstorm 2 weeks ago:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Depending how little they are, optimistically, you will see a few blooms next spring. Check out the pic at the link below. I'm thinking I have dug and moved offsets that size before and had some of them bloom the following spring.

I guess time will tell...please keep us posted.

That reminds me...I'm having a new propane gas tank set this coming week and need to dig and rescue the reticulatas before they come. I know the 2 clumps bloomed and maybe can tell how many blooms there were, so it will be interesting to see how big the bulbs or offsets are. I wonder if there will be a bazillion.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to the pic of Iris reticulata bulb clump

o

I'm greatly cheered! I'll park them beside the Narcissus seedlings and see what happens to them all. Hopefully more TLC than OMG!

I also am very fond of them - particularly the wine-coloured ones. And I enjoy bucharica, as well. (I just hope it got enough of a baking this year.)

Thanks for helping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here