Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A question about bulbs in containers.

Posted by nmushka 6 (waxwinged@gmail.com) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 7:28

Hello,

I was reading up on how bulbs don't do well at all in containers due to overwatering.

But what if I rug up the bulbs right after the foliage dies out, and replant the following spring? Would the bulbs store that long in a paper bag in a closet, or somewhere else cool/dry? What if I fridge them?

Thank you in advance..

Nadya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A question about bulbs in containers.

Edit: The bulbs I've got a are hyacinths, tulips, and daffodils..

o

Those are all supposed to be planted in fall, not spring.

o

... Question stands. What if I refrigerated them over a few months?

o

You're in zone 6, there's no need to refrigerate them if you are planting them in fall. Unless you meant planting them into containers? then you'd have to put the containers somewhere they wouldn't freeze.

If you plant fall bulbs in spring after refrigerating 3 months, they will probably bloom, but they'll be slower than bulbs of the same variety which were planted in the ground in fall. The tulips may not bloom regardless of what you do with them, tulips are just less eager to bloom year after year.

o

Your post is a little confusing. Do you have the bulbs growing in containers now? If so, you can plant them in the garden whenever you want. After the blossoms fade, cut off the flowering stems only, lift the bulbs with as much soil intact as possible and plant in an appropriate location in well-drained soil in the ground. Allow the foliage to ripen and dry just as you would regular inground planted bulbs. You may want to plant them deeper than they were in the container - typically, container planted bulbs are not planted as deeply as they would be in the ground.

They should come up and bloom next spring as normal.....with the possible exception of the tulips, which tend not to perennialize very well

FWIW, spring flowering bulbs planted in a container will do just fine - 1000's of gardeners grow them this way. You just need to make sure you have a good, fast draining potting soil and offer sufficient winter accommodations for your climate. And protect from excessive rainfall.

o

Nadya,
What you read about too much water has little to do with the pots. It does mean that we do not plant spring flowering bulbs in situations that will be damp all summer which could lead to rot. Watering the pots every week in summer is a no-no also for the same reason.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here