Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advise needed for tulip bulbs

Posted by yvette_adams z5 Quebec (adams_yvette2000@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 7:42

I love tulips because they are so beautiful and so easy.

In the fall I bought a couple of dozen expensive tulips to put in my front beds. But before I got a chance to do that, I decided to sell my house, so I kept the bulbs in the fridge all winter, in hopes of planting them here in my new yard this coming fall.

Now, I can see that the little bulbs are sprouting. I am wondering if I should put them in the ground now, or wait till fall.

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Yvette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advise needed for tulip bulbs

Plant them now. By fall they will be no good. Al

o

I agree. Don't be too surprised if they do not perform well next year or the year after that. Many, in fact most, tulips do not reliably perform as perennials, and are often treated as annuals.

There are however some tulips that perform much better than others as perennials.

What varieties did you purchase?

Sue

o

Sorry...they were transferred into another mesh bag for refrigerator convenience, so I don't know what exactly they variety they are. I can't even remember the colour!

I sort of felt I should get them in the ground, so I'm glad for the confirmation...and we'll see what happens next year. If I get one year out of them, I'll be happy.

But one more Q...I'm in zone 5, and part of the garden is still frozen. Should I plant these guys as soon as the soil is workable, or wait a bit longer?

I do appreciate the responses...as usual, Gardenweb people are the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here