Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daydream Tulip Duds?

Posted by the_next_generation Z5 - NEPA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 8:23

I've had a beautiful tulip border following the curve of the front flower bed for 2 years now, and this year, it went to hades. I don't know why, but only half of my daydream tulips seem to have come back (leaving a hole in the center of the line). We had a mouse in the flowerbeds last year and I'm wondering if he might have tunneled into my tulips. The only other thing I can think of is because they're starting to show signs that they've reproduced perhaps the ones that are "missing" are just weakened by baby bulbs still hanging on. Has anyone had this problem before? I haven't wanted to go digging around in there while the tulips are about to come up but I think I'm going to get in there today and see.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daydream Tulip Duds?

Follow Up:

Well, I went digging. I found 1 bulb that was just late and 2 baby bulbs that weren't connected to anything with a single leaf on each. Should have been about 3 - 4 adult bulbs... No idea what happened. No tunnels evident. No evidence of rotted bulbs though I suppose it would depend on the degree of decomp. Anyone have any ideas? Should I bother trying to replace them? They're supposed to be quite perennial...

o

I grow Daydream and it is one of my favorite tulips. I find that they are more perennial than most tulips, but still, they start weakening after two or three years. 50% return for the third season isn't bad for a tulip.

Based on what you found when you dug them up, it sounds like they divided into weak baby bulbs. This is typical and happens to all tulips sooner or later when they are grown in a climate that isn't native to them. Plant more, though, they are beautiful and it's worth it :)

o

Maybe you dug into them during the summer while planting something else?

Usually if tulips go missing, something ate them. If they are just producing alot of leaves it's dividing they need. They are trouble, but worth it I think!

o

I've noticed my other tulips getting more plentiful but smaller and figure they've been dividing, but these are the only ones (knock on wood) to leave a bare spot. I didn't plant anything else along that line so I know I didn't slice them, but I think I'll break down and get some more this fall. They are kind of special. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here