Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tulip Bulbs do Split

Posted by cynthianovak 7/8 TX (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 23, 06 at 8:33

Hi All
Some time ago a very knowledgeable forum member stated that the big hybrid bulbs we buy and plant and yes really enjoy, are about to divide.

This year, I was determined to allow some tulips to brown, then left the bulbs, store them and finally chill them to plant again next fall.

The wise person was right! I don't think I've found a handful that did not split. Many have spilt into as many as 4 small bulbs from the one BIG bulb planted.

I no longer feel guilty about tulips as annuals.

thanks to this forum, I knew what I was looking at.

smiles of appreciation
cynthia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tulip Bulbs do Split

The problem with splits is they will not bloom if chilled and planted again next year. Some varieties do not tend to produce splits and will instead put all the energy into making the bulb larger and insuring a bloom next year. I save those and discard the splits. Al

o

It all depends on where you live, and the climate where you live. My tulip bulbs split, yes. But I can plant out even the tiniest little bulblets and even though the littlest ones won't bloom the following year, they will do so eventually. Certain tulip species in my garden border on behaving like weeds, because they multiply so frequently, and require thinning equally frequently. They also insist on blooming, which keeps them from completely falling into the "weed" category.

Those tulips which divide, bloom and multiply with a vengeance for me are:

General de Wet (Single Early)
Little Princess (species hybrid)
Tulipa vvedenskyi

Lisa

o

Yes, they split. More flowers next year! Or none at all :(

In my garden, tulips are forever popping up in odd places from tiny bulbs that went unnoticed for a couple of years or got moved in soil or compost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here