Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lily bulb cages

Posted by sujiwan 6 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 8:50

My gorgeous lilies from the past couple years did absolutely fine until this winter. I had lined the bed with hardware cloth and all around. I did not, however, have a top. I figured the buggers weren't going to climb up and over if they found my bed. After the snow melted I found lots of holes down in the bed plus something had pulled bulbs out and methodically chewed each one, leaving a pile of scales next to the bed. I don't know which culprit *that* is. Any ideas?
I have new lilies on order and I figure I have to put them in cages. But I'm not sure about the gauge since some of these lilies have really thick stalks! Will the stems get through the opening and yet keep the voles from getting inside the cage?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lily bulb cages

I've never used cages to protect my lilies, but some of my Orienpets have up to 1.5" diameter stalks. I guess it is more than enough for voles to get into the cage.
Have you tried repellent? I treat my bulbs with Bonide Bulb Dust. It also acts as an insecticide and bulb rot control.

o

That's what I'm worried about--those monster stalks! No, I haven't tried Bonide products. It looks like that is more for insect or fungal stuff.

o

It also acts as a repellent. It contains Cedar Oil, Garlic Powder and Dried Blood as the active ingredients. ingredients. The manual says: Grow healthy bulbs resistant to insect, desease and rodent depredation.

BTW, did we buy Epimediums from Naylor Creek together a couple of years ago??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here