Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
portia_gw

Bulbs only leafing, no flowers

portia
9 years ago

I'm sure that you guys have seen a variation of this question in many forms in the last few weeks given how cold the winter was.

Here's mine. This was my first winter here in the cold, I ordered a ton of tulips and daffodils. I put them outside on our covered porch. I left them there all winter. It only occurred to me sometime in Feb that it might have been too cold for them this winter with no protection but a cardboard box and 15-30 degrees for 2 months. After I read also that you shouldn't let them go below freezing, I thought for sure they would be goners.

However, when we opened the boxes up and unpacked them, most of the daffodils and tulips had a green stem emerging. So we planted them in large containers (for now). I've done bulbs in containers for years but previously in Zone 9, so familiar with the process, space, well drained potting soil etc.

Now about 1.5 months later, I have a lot of green leafy stems but no flowers. The daffs in the ground are up and blooming, but my container ones are just leafing out.

My question (since at this point I'm just assuming I won't get flowers)... the bulbs are still alive but did this years flower die from the cold? Should I keep them and wait another year (put them in the ground this year) for them to flower? Or is this it and I'll only ever get leaves. I've never had bulbs grow but not flower so this is new to me!

I just don't want to go through the work of planting them (I have about 200) in a bed to find they don't flower again next year, I'd rather start with new bulbs and mulch these, but not if it's an obvious 'yes they will def flower next year, hang onto them' from the experts.

And yep this winter, bring in my containers to the basement, I know that part, hehe. Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

The daffodils will probably bloom in future years; the tulips, not likely.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Growing bulbs in containers in zone 6 is a lot different from doing so in zone 9. These bulbs should have been planted in the containers in the fall, as you would with those in the ground. They need that period of time and cold weather to develop a root system sufficient to support flowering.

Without the well-developed root system, they are very unlikely to bloom this year. I'd go ahead and plant them in the ground as soon as you can and treat them just the same as those that DID bloom, allowing the foliage to ripen naturally, etc. They should bloom as normal next year.

If you want to do containers again, start with fresh bulbs and plant in fall. You do not need to keep the containers indoors - just do not allow too much below freezing. An unheated garage is perfect. Bulbs can take the cold, especially when insulated by soil but more important, they need the time and a cool, damp environment inground for root development.

• portia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks...that gives me hope! I didn't receive the bulbs til the ground was already mostly frozen, so there was no hope of planting in the ground, could most likely have done containers but so busy with the upcoming move and all that, just put them on the porch, oops.

Only planned to have them in the container this first year, but was hoping for a grand show, oh well! I'll let the foliage die back then plant them in fall. I am SO excited about having real bulbs out here vs in Zone9 where we had the shortest stems and tulips never returned.

Also, the containers of bulbs I did have already from previous years did not make it thru the winter, I didn't put them inside at all and they started sending shoots up but I think it was too cold and they turned to mush.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    9 years ago

What you did with your bulbs isn't that much different than what you would have done in zone 9.... Maybe colder than they should have been, but prechilled bulbs are usually planted and then grow- not that I've ever done it, so just what I'm reading from the southerners!
    Are your bulbs not showing any buds? Could they possibly just be late? Even if something went wrong they should at least still show shriveled buds that have failed to open along with the leaves.
    If it were me I would grow them on this spring until they begin to yellow, pull up the bulbs, store them dry until fall and then plant then out..... and buy a couple new ones too, just in case your project doesn't work out :)

• portia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I never chilled in 9...too lazy and no room in the fridge, so as a result my stuff mostly was short, but always bloomed, tulips just never returned, daffs were quite reliable. Some of the daffs I'd had in pots for 5+ years, sad to have lost them this year but it was just too cold I assume.

I may have spoken too soon about the entire loss, this morning was out inspecting, and a few tulips do have some buds. There are others that are just foliage..and yet some others that have not even broken the surface. I'm very excited to at least have a few, so we'll see!

Kato, thinking what you suggested as well, I may intersperse new ones in with these just in case I get a weak show next year as well!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022