Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering Requirements For Gladiolus??

Posted by brownthumb65 8B Tallahassee (naturalmeds37@hotmail.com) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 9:11

Good Morning Everyone!

I am a new gardener and decided to plant some Gladiolus.

My question is this:
After initial planting of the bulbs it says to "water well" and I've done that, but how often should I water them before they start to sprout??

I don't want them to drown and die before hand.

Thanks for any advice.

Halime

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering Requirements For Gladiolus??

Anybody??
Please??

o

Gladiolus corms provide virtually everything the plant needs to sprout and produce bloom stalks. You surely can kill them (rot) by overwatering. Since you've watered after planting as recommended, leave them alone...

... then, water plants during the summer if rainfall is less than 1 inch per week.

Be prepared to stake them once bloom stalks appear. The flower stalk is heavy and they tend to fall over. You can mitigate that by planting them a little deeper than they recommend and also much closer together than they recommend. They are more attractive planted in bunches rather than in soldierly marching rows.

o

Thank you duluthinbloomz4! I didn't know they were called corms, but now I do. I appreciate your input. I am trying these for the first time and I kinda did a zig zag pattern. I was reading that I could also plant some more in a couple of weeks to get even more flowers during the season. I planted 10 and I am a bit out of shape so I am still recovering and will do the other 10 since you mentioned they can be planted closer together. I have them spaced at about 7 inches now.

I also am pretty sure I can leave these in the ground since I am zone 8b for the winter. Thank God for that!

Thanks again.

Halime

o

Many gardeners will plant glads weekly to extend the bloom season. They are very unlikely to rot in the soil even if you have prolonged rain. From planting to bloom will be very close to 90 days. They will over winter in your zone and multiply. Colors may change over the years and may all end up the same color. Mine revert to an orange shade. Average garden soil suits them, and fertilizing may add to the need to stake. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here