Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Still many 2010 Daffodil Shows to attend!

I should have posted much earlier (sorry) but wanted to get the word out that there are still several American Daffodil Society Daffodil Shows to attend yet this spring. If you don't live close to one, maybe you would like to make a day trip to go and see hundreds of different daffodils, many of which are award winning, on display.

April 09-10, Edgewater, Maryland

April 10-11, Pacific Regional Show, Amity, Oregon

April 10-11, Cincinnati, Ohio-I'll be there, hopefully showing several daffs myself

April 10-11, Wheaton, Maryland

April 10-11, Wichita, Kansas

April 12-13, Midwest Regional Show, Indianapolis, Indiana-I'll be at this one also and hopefully have some daffs to enter after some unfortunate wind and rain this week

April 13, Upperville, Virginia

April 15, Mt. Airy, Maryland

April 16-17, Lehi, Utah

April 17-18, Salt Lake City, Utah

April 17-18, Columbus, Ohio-would like to go to this one too...sigh

April 17-18, Kennett Square, Pennsylvania-Held at Longwood Gardens, what a double treat!

April 17-18, Washington, Pennsylvania

April 20, Rye, New York

April 20-21, Towson, Maryland

April 23-24, Northeast Regional Show, Morristown, New Jersey

April 24-25, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania

April 24-25, 2010, Wadsworth, OH

April 24-25, Glencoe, Illinois-at the Chicago Botanical Garden-another double treat!

April 24-25, Nantucket, Massachusetts

April 24-25, Youngstown, Ohio

April 28-29, Greenwich, Connecticut

May 01-02, Reston, Virginia

May 01-02, West Boylston, Massachusetts

May 15-16, Central Regional Show, Minneapolis, Minnesota

If you want to see numerous daffs from all Divisions attending a daffodil show is for you.

If you want to see daffs in all Color combinations, then attending a show is for you.

If you want to pick up information on growing and showing and sources of specialty daffodils, then attending a show is for you.

At the Cincinnatti Show this Saturday they have a section for NO NAME DAFFODILS and I hope to enter one of my most favorite daffodils that I don't know the name of. I don't even know where I acquired it, but hopefully it will maybe be a winner or someone there can say with some degree of certainty what the name is.

I will also be taking a vase of several no name daffs, in hope of being able to match them up with several entries and get names on them. There will be Daffodil Society members and other exhibitors there who I imagine can and will help me if necessary.

The link below has more details about times and locations of the many upcoming shows. Hopefully some of you can make it to one, or maybe even more than one.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: 2010 Daffodil Events & Show Calendar

Comments (11)

• paddlehikeva
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Did you win any blue ribbons over the weekend?

The unseasonably high temperatures last week was VERY hard on my spring bulbs.

Kathy

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kathy,

I backed out on going to Cincy as one of my dogs disappeared Mon (4-5) and I spent last week looking for her. I was very upset and depressed and would have felt guilty taking all the time needed to prep blooms and going to the show and decided to just 'do' Indy.

Yes, I won 10 blue ribbons and also some red, and yellow (third place) ones too. I don't have the complete tally close at hand with what won what though, but will post more later. I was surprised that 'some' blooms won when competing with other cultivars. I was kind of pressed for time in getting my entries together as we didn't get there right at opening time as had been planned....grrrr.....

I sure would love to go to Columbus Ohio this weekend, but it is quite a drive and I didn't get anyone lined up to meet up with along the way to share the drive and go with. Numerous of my new daffs have come out this week after the show Mon, and there are some real beauties. There are still about 20 cultivars that are budded at different stages. I sure hope the majority of them get a chance to bloom, and me see them, instead of bud blasting. Several were planted quite late last fall, so next spring, they will probably bloom closer to their normal time and be more normal sized as several are smaller and shorter than they should be.

Any chance you might have daffs and go to Reston?

I took the NOT Lemon Beauty with me to try and get a name, but no one knew right off the top of their head just what it was. It was a bit 'familiar' though with a few of the seasoned daff collectors...maybe next season.

I took my favorite NO ID daff to try and get a name on it and was successful. 2 or 3 seasoned collectors immediately knew it and said it was Olathe. Helen Trueblood even immediately remembered the year of registration, the breeder and the excitement in the daff community when it was finally released for sale.

I plan/hope to dig it later and have some to trade later at proper trading time...I imagine you will need some huh?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Olathe at Daffseek

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

Hi Sue

Hope the hound returned in good order and looking unrepentant. :-)

Serious question: How do you keep your ribbons and rosettes and pictures? (It's not quite like making a brag wall in the dog grooming room, is it?)

• paddlehikeva
    14 years ago

WOW Sue, Congratulations on all those ribbons. I doubt very seriously if I have any blooms to take to Reston on May 1st. The heat and lack of rain destroyed the late show.

I never did get any photos of NOT Lemon Beauty to send to B&B. I will use yours if that is okay.

Olathe is a beauty! You imagine correctly, I need it bad.

Did your doggie come home? I have one that is fading fast. Can't hardly walk, can't hardly see, and can't hardly hear. However when it comes to chasing the cat around the house, she is full of vigor.

Kathy - who hopes she can get the weeds under control in her garden.

• vetivert8
    14 years ago

Voice of gloom: even in a near-drought - weeds never sleep...:-((((

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    14 years ago

I want to thank you. Because of your reminder this is the first time I've visited our local Red Butte Gardens while the daffodils were blooming. Hyacinths were in bloom, too! Scenes like this make me want to squeeze a lot more bulbs into my yard.

(I hope you found your dog. These furry family members mean a lot to us.)
    {{gwi:10762}}

{{gwi:10763}}

Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry for not coming back to this earlier.

Hope the hound returned in good order and looking unrepentant. :-)
    Yes, pooch returned and was just fine. I had been getting up several times a night looking for her to maybe be laying on the porch (of course I left the light on all night) and magically she just reappeared one night at 3 AM. She looked well fed, was not hungry, and was clean, almost like she had been either someone's house dog, or that she had been tied somewhere. I just cannot imagine where she was as I drove each day looking for her and talked to probably 100 or more households, handing my tel # out, in case she was spotted. I've wondered if maybe she was dognapped and was being held in the hope that a reward would be offered for her. She has always been a pretty good escape artist, so she may have escaped and then somehow found her way home.

Serious question: How do you keep your ribbons and rosettes and pictures?
    Serious answer: At the Indy show, actual ribbons or rosettes are not given except for certain 'classes' that are exhibited...
    Example:the winning display of 5 different US bred daffs is awarded the ADS(American Daffodil Society) Red-White-Blue Ribbon
    a winning display of 5 different reverse bicolors-ADS Maroon Ribbon
    A winning display of 12 cultivars and/or species from not less than 4 divisions-ADS Marie Bozievich (Green) Ribbon
    The biggie award, I think, is The Quinn Award which is a silver Medal for a collection of 24 different cultivars (!!!) and/or species from at least 5 divisions.
    There are numerous other ADS awards as well as Indiana Daffodil Society awards and Regional awards.

Seasoned growers and showers win the Award classes as it takes numerous different cultivars, or numerous blooms of several different cultivars to put together a collection for the Award (bigger) winning classes.
    There are various awards for various 'collections' of Standards, Intermediates, Minis, and Historics.

Everything I exhibited was either in single stem or a vase of 3 stem classes.

Anyway...some of my First Place winners were Tripartite, a real prolific favorite of mine.
    {{gwi:10746}}

Fragrant Rose...another favorite as it smells just like a rose.
    {{gwi:10764}}

Triple Crown
    Mint Julep
    Hawera...Mini single stem AND mini vase of 3 blooms
    Bright Angel

So much of my daff collection was acquired in 2008 and 2009, so it will be a while until all of those grow into 'clumps' giving me more 'choice' blooms to choose from come show time. When purchasing bulbs, I've started to try getting a wide variety of them from the different daff divisions as well as getting them with a nice mix of different bloom times, ie from very early to very late. I've got them listed on a spread sheet with that info, so I can 'sort' them and see just what I'm needing more of. (Maybe a little OCD?) I had intended to 'try' and get a bloom count of everything this year, to see how they are multiplying and to see which ones I might want to dig and divide to either share, or trade, or must divide and plant in 2 separate areas, thus maybe expanding the bloom time of a single cultivar.

I never did get any photos of NOT Lemon Beauty to send to B&B. I will use yours if that is okay.
    Kathy, that would be fine. For anyone who may be curious, Kathy and I are trying to get a name on this daff which I'm thinking was sold as Lemon Beauty, which it clearly isn't.
    {{gwi:10765}}

Here is the real Lemon Beauty.
    {{gwi:10766}}

Olathe is a beauty! You imagine correctly, I need it bad.
    Consider it 'yours' if I get it dug, which I really hope/plan to do.

Because of your reminder this is the first time I've visited our local Red Butte Gardens while the daffodils were blooming.
    Oh Sandy, I'm so glad you were encouraged to go and got some great pics to share. They are stunning and I imagine the hyacinths smelled heavenly. Wow!

Scenes like this make me want to squeeze a lot more bulbs into my yard.
    Oh yes, there is always room for a few more. If you purchase any new ones this fall, and happen to have extras to trade, I'd love to work a trade with you for some new (to me) cultivars in smaller quantities.

If I get them dug, I should have
    Olathe (link to pic in a post above)
    Triparte-pictured above)
    and Orange Phoenix pictured below
    {{gwi:10767}}

and Geranium pictured below
    {{gwi:10769}}

as well as others.

For that matter, I would welcome trades with anyone who might have extras of newly purchased named daff bulbs, or named bulbs they have dug this year, that I don't have. Just remember to wait 6-8 weeks (8 is best) after bloom time to dig, cure and store until fall planting or trading time.

Well, enough about daffs this AM...so much to do. Time allowing I hope to get a few pics of new (to me) blooms before they fade. I've been busy digging out wild onions and garlic from a woods area where I plan to plant new daffs this fall. I don't want other bulb foliage coming up among the daffs. I also need to move a few nice natives out of the area, and then the area can be sprayed in preparation for fall bulb planting. I wanna be done planting before linnea56 this fall.

Sue

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

haha - that's not nice!

I should try and get a pic of my "not lemon beauty" too, I believe it's the same as what you are both seeing.

I've got a bunch of noids that I should be getting photos of. Some are real nice and others seem real close (imo) to ones I already have... and one or two I just dont like! LOL

I'm always up for trading, so keep me in mind!! I need to get my own inventory straight..... plus there are two or three clumps that have a wrong variety mixed in and I want to make sure I remember to dig them out and not mix them in.

This is the spring of replete, seems it's blooming more than I've ever seen... the pink and white messy double flower is starting to grow on me.

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Chemocurl,
    I'm relieved the pooch got home. You have a terrific collection of daffodils. Do you need Precocious? I have extra.

Hyacinths planted just the way I love them. Thanks for the picture.

Original Author
    14 years ago

I should try and get a pic of my "not lemon beauty" too, I believe it's the same as what you are both seeing.
    Yes, hopefully you can get a better pic. Was B and B your source also?

Some are real nice and others seem real close (imo) to ones I already have... and one or two I just dont like! LOL
    Surely you jest!...not like a daff? How could that be possible? Well I take that back...Not Lemon Beauty doesn't do a thing for me, but will keep it for a while anyway to see if a name can be put to it.

I was so disappointed in Rip van Winkle this spring. I waited and waited for the one bud to open and it never opened fully and right. Maybe I need to move him.

I'm always up for trading, so keep me in mind!!
    Will do, my daff addicted friend.

I need to get my own inventory straight
    Yes, you do. I got Falconet from you in 2008 and it took me until this spring to see/notice that it is all wrong. That's what I get for not putting good info on the tags, like the division, color code, season and height. What is supposed to be Falconet looks a good bit like Hillstar, (which I love though) and now the blooms are too faded to know for sure...sigh. I'll label it "maybe Hillstar" and make a note to check it next spring.

plus there are two or three clumps that have a wrong variety mixed in
    YIKES!!! I finally noticed this spring too that My Spellbinder clump has three different cultivars in it. About half is Spellbinder, and the other half is a different one, but also a reverse biclolr that is very pretty and just recently a last bud bloomed and it looks like it 'might' be Yellow Cheerfulness. Guess I'm just going to have to dig those and plant them individually in a row so I can get them separated out. I meant to get them dug while I could still tell for sure what was Spellbinder, but it just didn't happen....sigh.
    Oh...the doggies laid in the area where I had Amor from you, and it looks like I am down to just one bulb, so if you might have a couple to trade, I would welcome them. Something else went away too, from you that needs replaced.

I'm relieved the pooch got home.
    Thanks irisgal. Besides thinking she might have been dognapped for a possible reward I also envisioned all sorts of terrible things that 'might' have happened to her.

You have a terrific collection of daffodils.
    Thank you...My love of daffs has turned into a full blown addiction, and I am totally out of control.

Do you need Precocious?
    No, but thanks. I saw it at a show in 2009 and it went on my Must have list and I then acquired it last fall via a small CO-OP group. It is sure a beauty. Another frilly cupped one I got last fall was Modern Art, which is about as pretty as Precocious.

If you order something new this fall though, keep me in mind. I need to make my must dig list here soon, so I will have goodies to trade later.

Sue

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    14 years ago

oops. If the "falconet" was from me then it is most likely hillstar. I think those were the only two jonquillas I had back then, so it's gotta be one or the other and the two look nothing alike.

In our defense sometimes the clumps mix up on their own.... My amor must have a sport in it, there are a couple blooms that are showing up with a slightly more orange cup... You can't see it until you compare individual blooms.... they are close but not exactly the same.
    Soooooo, I'm more than happy to send you more (it's one of my favorites) but I have to make sure you get the authentic one.... and then what do I do with the sports!?

ps. Don't put too much effort into trying to get R van winkle to look good.... he's just a lazy, messy daff that doesn't open right half the time.
    As a collector you probably "need" it, but just remember one or two is probably enough LOL

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH