Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - no daffy flowers?

Posted by sandij_gardener 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 9:28

Does anyone know a remedy: 99% of my daffodil bulbs have no flowers, just lots of greenery. Is there anything I can put on or dig into the ground for the bulbs to soak up (nutrients) so I'll get flowers next year.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - no daffy flowers?

I think I've discovered the culprit. Dense surface roots from a nearby maple tree aren't allowing the bulbs to grow enough to produce flowers (found this little tidbit on the internet http://www.daffodilmn.org/faq.htm#t1). Looks like I'll have to dig them ALL up and replant elsewhere. Oh joy! :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffodil Society

o
RE: Help - no daffy flowers?

99% of my daffodil bulbs have no flowers, just lots of greenery.

There are numerous reasons why daffs don't bloom, but the 2 most common reasons are (# 12 at the link below) that they are crowded and needing digging (at the 'proper' time of course if possible) or (#6 at the link below) that the foliage has been cut off too soon from the previous year. Leaving the foliage in place to die back naturally is what replenishes the bulb for the next spring season's bloom.

I suspect yours are crowded.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: 12 reasons why daffs don't bloom per The American Daffodil Society.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here