Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Calla lily question

gardenfanatic2003
11 years ago

I've never bought one of these before, but a couple weeks ago I was at the nursery and was quite taken with the eye-catching bright pink blooms, so I bought one. It was doing great until this past week when our nighttime temps dipped down close to freezing. I brought it inside for a couple days. After the threat of freeze had passed, I put it back outside. Now the leaves are turning yellow.

I called the nursery to find out what the problem is, and they told me it's going dormant. They said the ones there in the nursery are doing the same thing. Dormant in April?!? Why would a warm weather plant be going dormant in April??

I am SO irritated that they were selling plants for $15 that would last a whopping 2 weeks. I thought it would be around all summer. What gives?

Can someone educate me on calla lilies?

I'm an experienced gardener, but I usually grow perennials, roses, and "everyday type" annuals. Last year I decided to try something different and splurged on a mandeville, which died before the summer was half over. And now this waste of money on a plant that lasted a lot shorter time than the mandeville did. I'm done spending money on exotic annuals!!

Deanna

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts