Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
right time to plant new day lilly in 7A

Posted by jollyrd Richmond VA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 1, 11 at 10:04

I remember that I devided my day lilly plants in fall two years ago. But when is the right time to plant new day lilly bulbs in Richmond VA area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: right time to plant new day lilly in 7A

Daylilies - Hemerocallis - are not really bulbs, despite the 'lily' part of their name :-) They are fleshy rooted perennials and can be planted as soon as your soil is workable (no longer frozen, not overly saturated) and at any time through the growing season.

o

that's right, they are not bulbs, silly me. I remeber they just have roots/rhizomes.
Thanks

o

I have been lifting and replanting the wandering daylilies that jump the neighbour's fence into my kitchen garden for the past two years at various times during the growing season. I always get good results no matter when I transplant them. It seems to me these are among the most forgiving plants. I also apply what I read somewhere about these guys liking to be planted close together, so I usually dig a big hole and just dump a bunch of rhizomes without applying any kind of spacing. It is likely that some rhizomes just die, but the ones that don't seem to make up for this nicely.

Interestingly, I have left rhizomes with leaves attached in buckets for weeks on end before finding the time to plant them. I periodically drench them in the mean time. They most amazingly survive and don't seem to be bothered by this shady practice.

Don't worry too much and just go ahead and dump them if your soil is workable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here