Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Naturalizing the median

Posted by anenemity 5b, Southern Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 10:07

I would like to eliminate the grassy area between the sidewalk of my house and the street by planting some naturalizing perennials. Mowing and edging is difficult on such a busy street! I got the idea from This Old House:

This will be on the east side of the house. The southern end receives pretty much full sun while the northern end receives afternoon shade. Ideally I'd like a variety of greenery and flowers with year-round interest. Being a novice gardener, though, I don't know if this is too much to ask! Any suggestions on plants for making this a low-maintenance border?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Naturalizing the median

I'm watching with interest for follow-ups to your question. My parents have a similar situation in their front yard (even the busy street!). I suggested bluebonnets (we're in TX), but my mom looked at me like I was crazy. Not sure why.

o
RE: Naturalizing the median

You might want to post this same question on the perennials forum, I'm sure they will be more than helpful with ideas and plant suggestions.... on this forum people would likely fill it with way too many bulbs! lol

The type of planting you are refering to is sometimes called 'hell strip' planting, because of the 'hell' plants have to go through with drought and car doors and salt and dogs etc... try googling that and you'll find even more info.

Keep in mind there are sometimes restrictions on what you can do and plant since oftentimes it's town owned. Height restrictions are probably the most important that comes to mind since tall plants may block visibility at intersections, being able to get in and out of a car park alongside the road is another.... but as for the rest I can't think of any other major ones and I'm kinda the person who would plant first and worry later.

Here is a link that might be useful: article on hell strip plantings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here