Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lam702

Is there a really PINK pink daffodil?

lam702
17 years ago

I have Salome and Replete daffodils, both shown in catalogs as having beautiful pink cups, but in reality, they're a pale peach. Pretty, but not what the catalogs shows them to look like. Of course, they are in full sun which probably washes them out a bit, but even so, they're much paler than they look in the catalog. I'd like to find a daffodil with a darker pink cup, one with a deep color to it. Is there such a daffodil? Can anyone tell me the name, and where to purchase it? I don't care if it's single or double, its the deep color I am interested in.

Comments (9)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Most flowers have a color palette.....for example there are no blue day lily....daylilies are shades of red and yellow.
    There are no yellow delphinium, delphs are in shades of blue and lavandar....even "pink" is to the lavandar rather than peachy.
    Daffodils are in the yellow family....and any pink will be to the peachy.
    Linda C

• lam702
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Peach is fine, as long as it's a deep peach. My "pink" daffodils have a very pale peach cup, I'd like one that is brighter and deeper in color. Salome is very pale, just a slight peach tint to it. Replete is a bit more "peachy" but still very pale. They're lovely, but I was hoping to find one darker in color, if possible.

• ljrmiller
    17 years ago

I don't know of any deep peach cupped daffodils, nor do I know of any truly pink cupped daffodils. However, I still think Mrs. R.O. Backhouse, with a white perianth and light peach trumpet is one of the prettiest in the "pink" group, and I highly recommend 'Rosy Trumpet' if you can find it anywhere (Try Old House Gardens). It has a charming shape and even though it's more apricot than pink, it really caught my eye in the garden this spring. It's also pastel, not deeply colored.

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Some catalogs like Breck's doctor the photos. I can't stand when companies do that. Goog quality bulb sellers don't doctor photos.
    Accent is a very nice "pink" daffodil. It is definitely darker than Salome. Accent is also a great perennializer and has good color even in sunny areas. Many of the pinks bleach out quickly in full sun.
    Remy

• cls009
    17 years ago

Try "Precocious". Its a dark rose pink, not a baby pink, but most definately all pink, no peach tones and no yellow tones. It also starts out as a pink rather than a yellow fading to a pink. "Easter Bonnet" is another that is mostly pink in my garden, and "Pink Wonder" fades to what can almost be defined as baby pink. A lot of the coloration has to do with planting in the right location, I personally plant all of mine in full sun and don't seem to have much problem with getting good color, but I live in a pretty cool area which I'm sure makes a big difference.

• alex_z7
    17 years ago

My daffodils are getting better with age. I have noticed a distinct difference(improvement, IMHO) in the colors from last year. The colors were much more vibrant this year. This year I really liked Salome, whereas last year it was much more muted & pale. (I actually didn't care for it at all last year, but loved it this year.)

I agree that mine are happy where they are now & that has affected their coloring. The first year they were purchased & planted so they didn't have a full year's worth of developing then. That may well have affected them as well.

• pitimpinai
    17 years ago

I second Alex's comments. My 'Pink" Daffodils seem darker 'Pink' this year than last year. I have 'Accent', 'Pink Charm' 'Fragrant Rose, and 'Bell Song' They all are deeper apricot almost pink this year. 'Salome' still stays pale peach as hpny said. Pretty enough, I guess.

I fell in love with Thalia. Just saw her in person for the first time yesterday. I think I'll get some this fall. :-)

• ginny12
    17 years ago

We had to lay a stone walk over a planting of Thalia and they came up between the cracks! This is one tough daffodil.

• josie_z6b
    17 years ago

I've never done pink daffodils myself (yellow's my favorite color for EVERYTHING, much less daffs, heh) but maybe if pinks turn pale peach go for the "red" ones like 'Decoy'? At least they should be a deeper shade of peachy-pink.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner