Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabbygardner

Very short tulips

gabbygardner
12 years ago

One of my tulip varieties is blooming on very short stems. Others close by are growing to normal height and just beginning to blossom, but these have opened up a good week and a half earlier than the others, but short. The only difference I can see is that the shorties are in the front edge of the bed, otherwise same.

They are still very pretty, orange tulips, and right behind my purple grape hyacinths so I am not complaining necessarily, but I do question.

Thanks,

Gabby

Comments (11)

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Coincidentally this article was in my paper yesterday.

Are all the tulip varieties you planted supposed to be the same height?

Here is a link that might be useful: Why are my tulips so short?

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you- water shortage is a good reason. I don't know if that is it, but it probably is;)

They are still very pretty at least!! I will put on a pic soon;)

Gabby

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They came out in full bloom this morning, and they are lovely!! Short or not, I love them:)

Gabby
    {{gwi:11293}}

full bed:
    {{gwi:11294}}

• anna_beth
    12 years ago

I believe the pinkish/red tulips you have there are Toronto tulips (I see multiple flowerheads per one stem, right?), which I've been growing for years with much delight. At least they look identical with mine. They are supposed to be of lesser height than the yellow tulips. They are just not that tall as a variety. Instead they have multiple flowers per one purchased bulb, a lipstick pink color which I like a lot, and they are early - always the first tulips to bloom in my garden.

They will of course grow somewhat taller with good watering but still will not attain the height of Triumph or any other later tulips. Personally I love that variety and will continue replenishing whatever bulbs I lose over the years. And they do last years, not just one season.

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anna Beth,

I couldn't agree more. I just planted these last year, along with the grape hyacinth and I am delighted. I was nervous at first because they were short, but they are wonderful. My husband just loves them. They are in perfect position in my garden (right up front) with the taller yellow tulips in back.

Happy mishap maybe?? I guess my naive planting has turned out well for once:):)

Thanks all,

G

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Yes - now I see the picture I also think those front row tulips are meant to be shorter and it's nothing to do with growing conditions. They don't look stunted or out of proportion. The leaves betray characteristic markings of the T greigii group, of which Toronto is a member.

• gabbygardner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your feedback. I am still learning the flower gardening and I really love it. I am much better at the veggie gardening, but branching out is fun!!

Have a great day!!

g

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Yes, greigiis are supposed to be short :)

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

They look really nice like that there in the front of the border.

• freki
    11 years ago

My neighbour has some of those & they are short. cute little things

• finchelover
    11 years ago

There are short tulips,I can't think of their names but I had some for several years and as usual moles got to them I had loved those shorties. I finally gave up on growing tulips