Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruits_veggies

Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now

fruits_veggies
10 years ago

Hi All,

I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale for Dahlias, Daylilies, Peonies and few bulb packages. Would like to know whether planting these bulbs now (May 1st week ) is a good idea or not and will they sprout and have flowers in summer.

Appreciate your suggestion on this.

Thanks

Comments (3)

• sara82lee
    10 years ago

I would *guess* the dahlias would flower late this summer, the daylilies have half a chance (maybe a little less), and the peonies not at all this year. But the second and especially third years are when you really see what your established plants will look like. Be patient!

fruits_veggies thanked sara82lee
  • Donna
    9 years ago

Day lilies are very easy to grow in the south, IF you get the right kinds. Unfortunately, the varieties that Costco sells, may very well not be ones that do well in the south. Your best bet is to find someone in the Dallas area who grows them for sale locally. If you can contact your local Daylily Society club they will certainly be able to direct you. Go visit their garden during bloom season. That way you know what you are getting. I cannot tell you how many lilies I have thrown away that I ordered by mail or bought from Big Box stores. There is nothing wrong with the plants. They just don't like the Deep South.

Dahlias are very iffy in the deep south. One that I can recommend is Bishop of Llandaff. It does very well and is a beautiful plant and flower. It is not winter hardy here. You have to dig and store it over winter.

Peonies are even more difficult in the deep south, but if you can find an old fashioned one that blooms early and put it in good soil in afternoon sun, they will do. I have had one for years and it is beautiful. (Be sure to read up on how to plant them. That is very important.)

Here are some great summer bulbs for your area that I can vouch for: zephyranthes (especially candida), crinums, elephant ears (don't get running ones. They will take your whole yard.), asiatic lilies, Easter Lilies, tiger lilies,amaryllis (yes. They come back. Bloom in June) Lycoris radiata (spider lillies), Byzantine gladiolus cruentas (don't bother with any other kind), caladiums (for shade), cannas.

If you are interested, the book "Garden Bulbs for the South" by Scott Ogden is a great guide to planting bulbs that are good doers in our climate. Also, be sure to visit Dallas Botanical Garden. Take a notebook and write down the names of plants you like. That is perhaps your very best resource of all.

fruits_veggies thanked Donna
  • fruits_veggies
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Sara & Donna, somehow I missed to respond earlier to your posts. I did get few daylilies and Amaryllis last year and they are started to sprout, hope they are going to have lot of flowers this year.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County